News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tap tempo should be on the ...

Started by midwayfair, December 06, 2014, 12:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which side of the enclosure should tap tempo be on?

Left
15 (27.3%)
Right
15 (27.3%)
Doesn't really matter, but I prefer left
13 (23.6%)
Doesn't really matter, but I prefer right
12 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

midwayfair

I just finished a layout. Well, two, actually. The difference between them is that layout A has the tap tempo on the left of the enclosure looking down at a completed pedal, and the other has the tap tempo on the right of the enclosure.

icecycle66

ON the same side as the tempo control knob, if there is a tempo control knob.

selfdestroyer

I see it this way, I play drums and I am used to using my right foot for the bass drum. So for me its my dominant foot for tempo.

Cody

dont-tase-me-bro

I'm left handed, but can only tap a tempo with my right foot.  My left foot has no rhythm.  I should probably start building my pedals with inputs on the left too, since society is geared toward righties.  I can sell them at the Leftorium
I thought this would save me money.

RobA

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on December 06, 2014, 11:33:49 PM
[...] I can sell them at the Leftorium
I heard they were replaced by a Starbucks.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Muadzin

Since the flow of a guitar signal on most pedal boards goes from right to left to me it seems logical to have the tap tempo to the left of the enclosure. It seems kinda counter intuitive when you're tapdancing multiple pedals to have to move your foot some more because there's a tap tempo switch in between this pedal bypass switch and the bypass switch of the preceding pedal.

Of course that's pure between my ears because if you place another pedal after this one you would still have to move your foot some extra distance.

drolo

I somehow intuitively started putting it on the right as it felt easier to access the tap button there. Lately I have been contemplating using a phaser with tap on the left, next to a trem with tap on the right so I could tap both buttons simultaneoulsy ... kind of a poor man's midi tap synchronisation :-)

midwayfair

I'm amazed how close this poll is.

I actually did a PCB two ways recently because I couldn't decide which way I wanted it; one had the tap button on the right, which is where it is on the TT cardinal on my pedal board; but my El Cap and almost every production pedal I've seen has it on the left. I don't know that I have a preference ... I actually had the bypass on the left in the TTC specifically because it meant that I wouldn't hit my volume pedal when I went to turn the tremolo on and off!

destro

ADA flanger?!

Seriously, though....player's perspective on the right. Right foot tempo kinda guy. If it is on the left side of pedal board you don't have to worry about missing the bypass switch. Builder's perspective would take into consideration where the LFO is and if there is a possibility of tick bleed.

Cortexturizer

On the left for me. Wouldn't have it any other way if I could have a choice.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

GermanCdn

I voted left as well, mainly because my brain follows the signal chain when it comes to footswitches, so the primary control is on the right and the auxillary on the left (be it tap tempo, modulation, boost, awesomeness injector).  Makes things easier for my simple brain not to have to remember if the two in one overdrive is switched on the right side, but the delay tap is also on the right side, etc, etc, etc.

Given the unbelievably tight results, maybe it's best just to leave it as offboard wiring (this statement assumes you're asking the question because you've got the switches board mounted in some fashion).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

midwayfair

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 08, 2014, 06:43:29 AMGiven the unbelievably tight results, maybe it's best just to leave it as offboard wiring (this statement assumes you're asking the question because you've got the switches board mounted in some fashion).

The switches themselves aren't mounted, but there's an on-board active bypass and I'm just trying to keep the wiring as neat/short as possible.

blearyeyes

I say make it wireless and mount it in the sole of your right shoe!

RobA

Quote from: blearyeyes on December 08, 2014, 04:34:08 PM
I say make it wireless and mount it in the sole of your right shoe!
If you are willing to mod your shoe, it could be done fairly easily.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

blearyeyes

I'll mod my shoe and PM you details... Hey this could turn into a group buy...
Maybe put a phone in the other one.. hmm