News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

One of those days...

Started by juansolo, December 06, 2014, 10:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

When you realise why you love this hobby. A really interesting and challenging build, throws up a few problems that you over come and in the end sound really awesome.

Just got to dot the I's and cross the T's on it tomorrow and it's done.

Thoroughly satisfying.  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jubal81

Quote from: juansolo on December 06, 2014, 10:07:31 AM
When you realise why you love this hobby. A really interesting and challenging build, throws up a few problems that you over come and in the end sound really awesome.

Just got to dot the I's and cross the T's on it tomorrow and it's done.

Thoroughly satisfying.  8)

+1
It's the best. After all the 'well, in theory, this should all work just so' and toiling away and then when it fires up - man what a rush.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

cooder

Looking forward to seeing it!
Great to have those things come together and satisfying fun it is.  8)
BigNoise Amplification

juansolo

We'll it's got one of your boards in it ;) Though it's a little buried...

Still waiting for my new photography lamps to turn up. Looks like I'm gonna have to pinch the build lamp back to get the photos of this one.

Stomptown

Quote from: juansolo on December 06, 2014, 11:07:13 AM
We'll it's got one of your boards in it ;) Though it's a little buried...

Still waiting for my new photography lamps to turn up. Looks like I'm gonna have to pinch the build lamp back to get the photos of this one.

Can't wait to see the finished product! Your multi's are really inspiring John.  I'm in the process of putting one together and I honestly don't know where to start; even after reading your tutorial!  I have an aversion to non-PCB mount pots and I've finally given up on the idea that I can do it without one or two of the PCBs non PCB mounted!  I also think I need a deeper box and some solid core before I can move forward though...

juansolo

Six (well seven if you're counting the RoadRage) boards in this. Only the Road Rage and one other are not using board mounted pots. Some require improvisation... Thick sticky foam is your friend, as is solid core wire (bus wire when you really need rigidity). But there's always a way to make them sturdy. Really quite proud of this one. Will do a mini write up with it, there's a lot going on.

As always, I find the key to a satisfying multi build is shed loads of planning. I really can't emphasise enough how much time I spend in Photoshop shuffling things around to get the fit right. Then with paper templates and the boards. Still I had a couple of things I got not quite right that I had to deal with. It's usually reversed pots when it comes down to actually installing it, but that's not a big deal to wire around and would be fixed if I ever built another.

Leevibe

Looking forward to this one. I had a feeling there had to be something good in the works.

Tremster

Oh, I have a boatload of non-working projects here. I'll let you debug them for free, if you really want to.
:P :-\ :'( :P

juansolo

Whatcha got, we're ninjas at debugging (to the point where we just sling it in the box of shame).

The build is in the reports section now :)