News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cornish Buffer

Started by stevie1556, December 07, 2014, 02:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

My first Cornish Buffer build was making a weird noise, then stopped passing any sound though it. I was worried I made a mistake with the board as Eagle was saying I needed to put a trace in to connect a component to the ground plane,even though it was already connected to a ground plane that was connected to ground. After about a month of thinking about it, I built a new one up, and it worked! Which is great, as I've already got a box drilled and powder coated for it, and going to etch the label tomorrow after work. The box is less then half the size of a 1590A, and only just fits everything inside!

Here is the board, box will be finished tomorrow and if I have enough time, I'll get the enclosure all wired up.

wgc

Looks great!

I did an smd one too, but have pcb mounted switch, and also routed it to act as an all pass. I think the buffer remains in the circuit at all times though.  I may add another switch to give the option of removing the buffer from the chain too.

Still need to box it up with about 4 other builds.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

sirbergersworth

That looks awesome!
I built one on vero and put it in a tiny little box also.
Which schematic did you use? I have seen a few different schematics with a few different values here or there. I really like it but always wonder if mine is correct. I think I used a layout from tagboard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

stevie1556

Quote from: wgc on December 07, 2014, 06:20:01 PM
Looks great!

I did an smd one too, but have pcb mounted switch, and also routed it to act as an all pass. I think the buffer remains in the circuit at all times though.  I may add another switch to give the option of removing the buffer from the chain too.

Still need to box it up with about 4 other builds.

I was toying with the idea of having the buffer switchable, but decided against it. Main reason is I've heard some pedals don't play nice with a buffer for some reason. I'm still tempted to put it in a bigger box so I can add a small toggle switch though.

Which layout did you use for the SMD?

Quote from: sirbergersworth on December 07, 2014, 09:01:10 PM
That looks awesome!
I built one on vero and put it in a tiny little box also.
Which schematic did you use? I have seen a few different schematics with a few different values here or there. I really like it but always wonder if mine is correct. I think I used a layout from tagboard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love using vero! My problem is most of the builds I've done on it don't work, so I've given up on the stuff.

I used MBs Cornholio schematic, I always try and use Brians ones as I know I can trust them to be as accurate as possible. I find when I Google schematics, sometimes the values are all over the place, so I try and avoid it if I can.

stevie1556

Got 3 boxes etched, the design took a while longer then planned, as I tried to draw a negative tip symbol, which I need to modify. Apart from having to remove that, pretty pleased how it turned out. I doubt I'll get time to build it up tonight, but it will be finished tomorrow (along with my Yellow Snow and Fuzzy Mistress), really need to start getting more builds boxed.

stevie1556

Quote from: Rockhorst on December 08, 2014, 11:17:18 AM
gut shot mandatory!

That's coming tomorrow! Got another bloody early shift tomorrow, so it has to wait until after then. There is just enough room to mount the board on top of the jacks!

But as a little taster and to show how tight it is.......

wgc

Love that enclosure!  I did my own layout. Had much the same concerns about switching, nothing ventured...
e.e. cummings

stevie1556

Quote from: wgc on December 08, 2014, 05:45:29 PM
Love that enclosure!  I did my own layout. Had much the same concerns about switching, nothing ventured...
I had a play around with it last night, and unless I gan find another 3-4mm somewhere, I can't fit a switch. I can get about 1mm from moving the jacks closer together, and the DC jack barely fits as it is, so it seems like a pointless exercise trying to fit a switch :(

stevie1556

And they are boxed! Got the wiring as neat as I possibly could, but it's much easier to wire them up outside the box! I've got some double sided sticky pads to mount the boards onto the jacks so they won't be floating around.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

stevie1556

Quote from: culturejam on December 09, 2014, 12:05:28 PM
Most impressive.  8)
Cheers. It's strange, I found it easier then a 1590A build considering it's size!

wgc

Quote from: stevie1556 on December 08, 2014, 09:18:26 PM
Quote from: wgc on December 08, 2014, 05:45:29 PM
I had a play around with it last night, and unless I gan find another 3-4mm somewhere, I can't fit a switch. I can get about 1mm from moving the jacks closer together, and the DC jack barely fits as it is, so it seems like a pointless exercise trying to fit a switch :(

I didn't mean that you should try to fit a switch, just explaining my rational for doing one with a switch on my layout. 

Anyway, looks fantastic!
e.e. cummings

stevie1556

Quote from: wgc on December 09, 2014, 03:35:55 PM
I didn't mean that you should try to fit a switch, just explaining my rational for doing one with a switch on my layout. 

Anyway, looks fantastic!

Yeah I thought you meant about doing a switch on your one. Have you built your board up yet? I was toying with the idea of a switch for it anyway, but there is absolutely no way I can do it in the current box. I have a few spare boards still (just need to order some caps) so I may do one with a foot switch in a 1590A so I can choose which to use.

wgc

I built it, tested it, but haven't had much time to play with it. Seems nice at first blush.

(Been freelance moonlighting on some projects that dropped in my lap, just about done for near term.)
e.e. cummings