News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Amp: Anyone tried a Peavey Valveking 20 II Combo?

Started by kothoma, December 08, 2014, 10:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kothoma

Looking for a new tube amp in the lower price range I stumbled across the Peavey Valveking 20 II Combo.

Anyone any experience with it?

sonarchotic

I've worked on a couple of the older 100w Valve Kings and they're decent sounding amps for the money. One was a combo and the speaker pairing sounded good. I recall being kinda surprised at how good it sounded. The stand alone head didn't sound as good with the cab I was using. Modding, is of course always an option and these have been around long enough that there are lots of ideas floating around online.
My only warning is the transformers don't have the best reputation, though that wasn't the issue with the two I worked on. Those were operator and tube based problems that caused further issues. Peavey has one of the the best customer/ technical supports in the business so that's worth a lot as well. That's not something you're going to get with some other budget amp makers. 

flanagan0718

I've had a couple VK's. I had the VK100 which is the 100w head. Awesome amp. Tons of gain and great for a range of sounds (I used it when in a metal band). I also had a VK212. This I regret getting rid of. Heavy as hell but Fantastic amp through and through. I used the VK212 when I played in a 90's cover band. We played everything from NSync to Metallica, Hootie and the blow holes (sorry really hated playing that song) to P.O.D .I am a Peavey lover. Right now I have a Peavey Prowler which is a bit like the VK112. One of the good things about the VK stuff is the switchable boost channel. Not sure if it is in the 20w but I vaguely remember it being there when it was released. You can't go wrong with a Valve King purchase if you are looking for a affordable awesome sounding tube amp.

GermanCdn

I tried the new VK Micro head this summer, cause I liked the fact that it had more features than your average micro head (reverb, fx loop, other stuff).  Was a bit underwhelmed by it, but maybe it was the cab, maybe it was the guitar, maybe it was the player, IDK.

That being said, I have had good experience with Peavey products in general, and the VK series seems to be highly regarded.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

mmlee

I recorded a band a couple summers ago, one of the guitarists had one.  I remember thinking it had a pretty decent distorted tone, I'll see if I can dig out the stems if you're interested.  His one was a little dodge though, I would spontaneously cut out on the dirt channel if left on for too long, on and off got it going again though.....
>Marcus

kothoma

Thanks for your replies.

I think I'll give it a try. At €333 this is too tempting.