News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kraken on bass? vs Nautilus?

Started by thesameage, December 10, 2014, 02:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Has anyone used it on bass? How does it sound? Comparisons to the Nautilus? I've watched a bunch of videos but can't get a good sense on the differences.

Obviously, the Nautilus is deeper and fatter and wetter... just putting together a multi pedal for bass and thinking about putting in the Kraken as there will be room. But wondering if it's worth it or not. I don't need a Meatball--too complicated for on the fly-- but I also don't want a DOD 440-- which I found to be way to thin of a sound.

Betty Wont

I've had both. The Kraken is a great sounding filter on bass. It has plenty of low range. Much thicker than the 440. It is easier to use than the Nautilus at the sacrifice of some (weirder) features. My main filter is a Moogerfooger lpf, and my backup/practice/party filter is the Kraken. The Kraken replaced my Nautilus for the mutron sounds.

thesameage

Good to know. I'm okay with sacrificing some of the weirder sounds. I like them in theory but they don't really work out so well in a band setting unless you are Mike Gordon in Phish.

I had a moogerfooger a long time ago but there was way too much tone suck and it was huge! Great sounds, though.

Any other tips, info of the Kraken? Where do you put it in your chain? Would it benefit from a dry/wet blend? I was thinking of putting the kraken before an afterlife. I'm going to do a blend on the pedal but was wondering if it's worth doing the kraken AND afterlife, or just the OD/Fuzz after.

Betty Wont

I could see a wet/dry blend being helpful. But that applies to any bass effect. I never chain more than 3 effects. Usually; fuzz>filter>phaser. I generally always have the filter on into a cleanish amp for my base (bass) tone, and then kick in the fuzz (diy devi ever US variant, usually), and/or phaser (stage fright) for synthy leads and swirly spaces. I've never used a compressor though. ever. I like fuzz before, and OD after the Kraken in a chain. It also does great autowah for lead guitar into a hot amp. I'd suggest the mod for higher value decay pot for bass. I used a 500kb and the longer decays are nice to have.

thesameage

OD into the filter... that does make sense. I definitely need a compressor in this scenario, though, so I need to figure out the optimal place to put it in relation to that.

I don't want to blend the comp as that defeats the purpose, but running OD/Filter/Muff and blending all of that AFTER the comp could be useful.

Jopn

Quote from: thesameage on December 10, 2014, 04:13:15 PM
OD into the filter... that does make sense. I definitely need a compressor in this scenario, though, so I need to figure out the optimal place to put it in relation to that.

I don't want to blend the comp as that defeats the purpose, but running OD/Filter/Muff and blending all of that AFTER the comp could be useful.

Someone smarter may correct me but I'd think you'd want to put the compressor after the filter, not before.  Since the filter is reacting to your attack, I imagine you wouldn't want something smoothing out that attack in front of it.  I guess the other side of that argument, however, depending on your application you may want a more consistent attack going into your filter so that it's opening a consistent amount each time (I'm thinking in particular in studio).

thesameage