VC Flanger

Started by chuckbuick, December 10, 2014, 07:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckbuick

Thanks again, guys.

Quote from: m-Kresol on December 11, 2014, 01:32:33 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 11, 2014, 06:44:07 AM
@chuck

Any chance these PCBs would be available for purchase? OR, do you happen to have any extras? I would be interested in using this to dip my toe into SMD.

I would be in for one too, if you have spares :)
Since I did the NoMojo Fuzz almost a year ago, I wanted to do more SMD
Quote from: icecycle66 on December 11, 2014, 02:30:10 PM
You make fantastic SMD boards.
Do you share them on OSHpark?
My spare boards are committed at this point.  But if everything goes good with the other people building them I'll share the OSH Park files.

@Icecycle.  I haven't done too much sharing of the files mainly because I'm not very techy and can't give much support.  My troubleshooting usually consists of fumbling though BOM's and schematics until I find something wrong.  But trying to answer questions to problems without having something right in front of me is not my strong suit.  About the only other thing I have had requests for was my MRP-12 board and at the time I posted the build SMD LM13600's were near impossible to find.  I didn't want to put out a project that people couldn't find parts for.  And the 13700's wouldn't work in that circuit for whatever reason.  But I'll check back into the availability of those soon.

Quote from: morganp on December 11, 2014, 11:51:04 PM
This is really stunning!  I see folks doing stuff like this and think "I could never do that" but you've really got me intrigued.  What would you say are the pros and cons?  My simple understanding is "SMD is harder because it's tiny" and "the parts are much cheaper" and "I don't know where to get boards".  I've been doing a lot of vero builds so far, partly because of the liberty of doing whatever project for which I can find or create a layout.  Are there many resources for SMD boards?  Sorry for all the questions, this build is gorgeous inside and out and finally got me thinking seriously about the possibilities.
Thanks Morgan.  For me the biggest pro's are that I can usually knock the size of a project into the next smaller enclosure.  The other big pro, for me anyway, is not having to bend and clip leads.

The biggest cons are more parts to store and for a lot of people, no mojo.

As far as resources for SMD boards there aren't a lot.  But pickdropper has a few he sells and wgc has a Suhr Riot layout that looks pretty sweet.

icecycle66

Man, all I need is the board and a BOM.

You got me drooling like a fat kid at a gravy parade.

jubal81

Yeah, Id've voted for this twice. Seriously, Chuck, you're freaking us out.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

raulduke

The awesomeness of this build has finally convinced me to take the SMD plunge.

I'm starting small (SHO PCB layout I did a while ago), but I'm hoping I won't find SMD the pain in the bollocks I always imagined it was.

Hogharry

Quote from: raulduke on December 12, 2014, 09:21:08 AM

I'm starting small (SHO PCB layout I did a while ago), but I'm hoping I won't find SMD the pain in the bollocks I always imagined it was.
It will all end in tears!  ;D

I'm just jealous because I have enough trouble seeing the through hole bits, so I'd need a microscope for SMD. :o
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

chuckbuick

Quote from: raulduke on December 12, 2014, 09:21:08 AM

Sweet.  The SHO is probably a good way to go.  It gives you a taste of most parts and has enough to give you the feel for SMD.  But few enough parts that if you start it and hate it you can still grind through or just say "screw it" and toss it without being out much cash.  Good luck with it.

chuckbuick

One more thing.  I've totally neglected to thank moosapotamus for making this info available.  If you're out there thanks, man.  Great work on the vids, too.  Much appreciated.

sonarchotic

Stunning work sir! Where did you get those knobs?

chuckbuick