News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking 2 - zener diode and 10r resistor question

Started by Bret608, December 11, 2014, 09:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

So, I watched a clip of someone trying out different diodes in an SK2. I've never paid much attention to Klones before but it sounded really good. Now I'm thinking about building one.

Just one question--have a lot of people had trouble with the 12v zener causing the 10r, 1/2w resistor to burn up? I saw a pretty intense tech help thread a while back on the topic; just wondering if there's anything to take into account while planning the build.

Thanks!

playpunk

I want yo know the answer to this, too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

RobA

If the supply voltage is less than 12V, which it should be since it should be 9V, the Zener shouldn't be conducting and shouldn't contribute anything to the current through the resistor. But, it shouldn't be used as a voltage regulator. Putting too high a voltage on the power supply input can cause a pretty large current to flow through the Zener and that could cause a problem.

Personally, if I were making the pedal for myself, I'd leave off the Zener and socket the charge pump.

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

murdog47

I don't know if there was ever a definite answer on this. I ended up replacing the 10R with a jumper. It works fine now with or without the zener in the circuit.

Bret608

Thanks everyone; this is pretty interesting. At least there's a way forward though even if there's no definite answer. Sounds like there is some Klone-ing in my near future!