News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jobs I would like to have

Started by micromegas, December 11, 2014, 03:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Those pics are truly stunning Jon! And cool ideas guys....

When I grow up I wanna emigrate to New Zealand and become a jeweller and musician.
It doesn't pay well but it's great to be here....
BigNoise Amplification

Leevibe

I want Jon's old job. If I can't have it, I'm happy to stick with my job as a Children's Pastor. It's a pretty amazing job and my commute is only 5 miles. Kids are way more fun to work with than adults too.

Willybomb

TLDR or watch the video, but I think I'd love to be a Foley Artist.

Stomptown

Quote from: micromegas on December 12, 2014, 01:49:43 AM
Wow! Those are great picks Jon, and an amazing job.
My gf's brother is a forest engineer and would like to live in a place like that. I would like to show him these photos if you don't mind.

Of course!

Stomptown

Quote from: Willybomb on December 12, 2014, 01:15:38 PM
TLDR or watch the video, but I think I'd love to be a Foley Artist.

That would be an awesome job!

GrindCustoms

I'd simply like to not have to have a job, live for my surviving... have a piece of land in Yukon,CAN... hunt, fish, grow some stuff... have my log camp, a horse, couple sled dogs and live as the sun rise and sets like all the other non-human mortals on this planet does... Ah!! i'd bring the Jeep with me! ;D

But since i probably lack the courage or will to go that way... i'll continue to be a millwright in the mining industry, really loving that job.

Jon, thanks for sharing, looks like you had such a great time, does really sound like the dream job. :D

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

upthepunxxx

I think my dream job would be to do what I do now but get to do it from home. Mainly so I could have more time to build pedals, amps, electronics etc. I work at a post-production audio studio for tv and movies. We mix/sound design/record mainly commercials but I do get to work on the occasional film or documentary. We are currently building out 2 more rooms and I get to design the workflow and pick out all the gear that I've always dreamed about but would never be able to afford. I love going to work and getting to geek out with fellow audio enthusiasts but it would nice to be able to just mix in my chonies and post for clients. And while I am waiting for approval It would be awesome to have some time to actually get better at building!
Trust me, as I am ordering and setting up all the gear for the new studios I am taking notes for my dream home studio one day.

Let me know if anyone is interested, i can post pictures and updates of the buildout progress!
Wake up and smell the noise!!

morganp

There are definitely things that are stressful about my job, it's not always a bed of roses.  The hours are long, the pay is poor, dealing with the public can really be draining (especially for an introvert). 

But there are also some amazing things that happen where I work.  It's a music instrument store/repair shop/music school, and part of the business at another nearby location (in fact the founding part of the business) is manufacturing instruments.  There aren't a lot of other places just like it, and it creates some unique situations and opportunities. 

Just recently, a fellow came in to custom order some high-end flight cases for guitars, turns out the guitars are Taj Mahal's.  Now, the late uncle of my coworker P. was Taj's first road manager, and they got to chatting, and, long story short, Taj ended up having P. back to the dressing room for a long interview about how the family was doing, that ended with everybody crying and hugging. 

Just today, I got to do sound for John Reischman, one of the best mandolin players in the world, playing his Lloyd Loar mandolin, maybe one of the most valuable instruments in the world.  My main acoustic guitar was one I bought from Bill Frisell; after biding my time for years to find a guitar just like the one I saw him play, he sold me the actual one.  Heck, there are emails from David Grisman in my inbox right now.  All of these opportunities are possible because my job can be awesome at times. 

And that's just the famous folks.  It can be just as rewarding an experience (or even more so) to help someone pick out their first ukulele; or help someone who's always wanted to play harp to sign up for lessons and rent an instrument. 

There are a lot of things in the world where, if someone doesn't know how something works, they think it is some sort of magic.  Once you figure it out, the magic is gone.  Music is one of those rare things that can stay magical, no matter how much you learn.  People access it in so many different ways, and learning to play can enrich a person for life.

I've talked to people who are stoked to work at Disneyland, because they get to make peoples dreams come true every day.  That's how my job feels much of the time.
affiliation: www.dustystrings.com

timbo_93631

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

cooder

BigNoise Amplification