News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Winds Aloft (RADD Reverb)

Started by Luke51411, December 15, 2014, 07:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

This is a Rub a Dub deluxe reverb built on the vero layout from Tagboard effects. I put the brick on regular perf board and mounted two of the pots to the board. I "sewed" the two boards together and ran wires to the brick. I didn't want to have anything dangling. It was a lot of work running all the wires to the brick And mounting the pots on the same board, I'll probably elect to go with a pcb for the next reverb build but this one has character. I'm pretty excited about the finish! I work in aviation and I've been thinking for a while how I can incorporate an aviation theme. This is an old navigation sectional chart, I cut a piece out and ran it through the laser printer for the labels and then glued it to the box. Keeping with the theme I used aviation grade adhesive ;D
Then I clear coated it. It turned out pretty good for the first time. The corners show some of the glue and aren't all attached as well as I'd like. So anyway here is the part you've all been waiting for.

cooder

Cool stuff... however I think also that next time you might wanna get one of those excellent boards of Josh /1776 effects...
This mission has been accomplished in the meantime, sail ahoy! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

Luke51411

I would have gotten a board but I bought the brick not realizing that it comes with the board and there aren't any other btdr3 designs out there yet that I could find.

gordo

Good Lord, I've never got into vero/tag board stuff and this is a perfect example of why.  I get a rash just looking at that.  Beautiful execution and very clean all round, but can't wrap my brain around how much work that takes.  Great work here.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

cooder

Quote from: Luke51411 on December 15, 2014, 07:17:16 PM
I would have gotten a board but I bought the brick not realizing that it comes with the board and there aren't any other btdr3 designs out there yet that I could find.
It's done and it's good, yet I think you could have tried to shot josh an email asking for a board only, could have worked. Next time.
BigNoise Amplification

lincolnic

I'm a sucker for maps of all kinds - I love this.

Luke51411

Quote from: gordo on December 15, 2014, 07:33:23 PM
Good Lord, I've never got into vero/tag board stuff and this is a perfect example of why.  I get a rash just looking at that.  Beautiful execution and very clean all round, but can't wrap my brain around how much work that takes.  Great work here.
Thanks for the compliment! I really enjoy vero and the occasional perf board build. I tend to get a bit more of a sense of satisfaction than with pcbs, especially when it works out as well as this build did.
Quote from: lincolnic on December 15, 2014, 08:51:42 PM
Thanks! It turned out well, I will probably do a few more similar builds.

bcalla

Quote from: lincolnic on December 15, 2014, 08:51:42 PM
Me, too.  And I never thought to include a map in my pedal graphics.  Now that I see how great it looks I might have to do it!

Luke51411

I think for the next one I would like to have a sturdier finish than just a spray can clear coat. Would this envirotex that everyone is talking about lately be the thing to use?

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bcalla

Quote from: Luke51411 on December 16, 2014, 04:48:30 AM
I think for the next one I would like to have a sturdier finish than just a spray can clear coat. Would this envirotex that everyone is talking about lately be the thing to use?
I use it now for everything.  I think it would be a good choice.

Hogharry

Well done! I was thinking about a revered on vero but now I think I'll just order a board.
Quote from: Luke51411 on December 16, 2014, 04:48:30 AM
It's a lot tougher than spray clearcoat. Like most things in pedal building if has its own learning curve. I haven't sprayed an enclosure since I tried Envirotex...
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

lars

That map looks great! It's always cool to see what people come up with for graphics on this site. So much creativity. I agree about those vero layouts; I would rather hand-draw and etch my own pcb before trying vero again. There's a real skill to keeping it neat and tidy, and this pedal is a great example.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Luke51411

Quote from: lars on December 16, 2014, 11:47:22 AM
That map looks great! It's always cool to see what people come up with for graphics on this site. So much creativity. I agree about those vero layouts; I would rather hand-draw and etch my own pcb before trying vero again. There's a real skill to keeping it neat and tidy, and this pedal is a great example.
Thanks for the great compliment. My biggest problem with vero has been how to mount it in the enclosure. I've had to start planning from the beginning. I will now usually leave an extra row or two that I can make a couple cuts in and mount the pots to. This one obviously had a lot going on. I'm not usually one to have very neat guts but I'm getting a bit more of a system down. Plus the board hides all the madness on this one 8)