News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Phantom Pain *NOW WITH SOUND DEMO*

Started by diablochris6, December 14, 2014, 11:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

I decided to expand my horizons and build a ridiculous multi-effect unit. This is the Phantom Pain, which is similar to Earthquaker Devices' Disaster Transport Sr. I haven't really seen the inside of the DT Sr., but I recreated the signal routing with some splitter/mixer PCBs I had around. Delay 1 is a Multiplex Jr., Delay 2 is an etched Cave Dweller, and the reverb unit is an EQD Ghost Echo board that I designed in Eagle. The Cave Dweller is always on, and the Multiplex and Ghost Echo have tails. The middle footswitch is True Bypass for the whole box.

The signal goes through a splitter, which puts the Multiplex in parallel with the Cave Dweller and Ghost Echo. The bleed knob is a cross-fader that will move the Multiplex sound in series with the other delay and reverb. Additionally, I used a 3PDT toggle to allow the reverb to be before or after the Cave Dweller.

The trimmers in the mixer boards helped me to dial an appropriate volume without adding too much noise, but I might need to swap out a couple PT2399s to get rid of some of it. For some reason, the modulation of the Multiplex isn't working, but that is something I can get around to fixing at some other time; I am too pumped that I got this bad boy operational! I don't have any knobs, but I will probably use the tall, skinny Davies knobs in black, unless anyone has a better idea.

The enclosure was sprayed with white primer and hand labelled with a Sharpie. The clear coat made parts of it bleed and smear, but it fits the motif.

And the noodly wire mess...

UPDATE- Here is the sound demo. I left many of the settings the same on the delays so you can hear how they interact a little better.
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/mr-beans/phantom-pain-demo[/soundcloud]
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

alanp

The signal path sounds like a headscratcher to me, of the sort where you need to sit down and spend quality time to wrap your head around it.

I love the art! You need to find some purple 1900H knobs for this one :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

I also vote for purple knobbies and I think a demo is in order... cool stuff! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

dan.schumaker

That looks awesome!  I am working on putting together my own version of the Disaster transport, with a Zero Point Double Delay, a first version Zero Point Mini, a Rub-a-dub Reverb and a JMK Parallel mixer.

Seeing this should give me the kick in the pants to move the build up in order :)

PhiloB

This is great!  Love the art and I also vote for purple knobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midwayfair

Awesome enclosure ... every once in a while you get a happy accident like that. :)

Luke51411

Another vote for Purple knobs! Awesome build! Will be great to see a demo, I can't quite fully wrap my mind around what this thing can do. I'm loving all the unique things people here come up with!

playpunk

Woah! I love everything about this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

dropanchor812

Looks awesome!  Glad that dweller board worked  ;)

glops

That thing sounds like it's insane. Looks like a very scary build. Nice job!

TGP39

Chris you crazy bastard! That's insane!    :o
Damn how I love your builds.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

selfdestroyer

Looks great. I love the waveyness of the text and the tree art. Looks perfect together.

Cody

diablochris6

Quote from: alanp on December 14, 2014, 11:27:37 PM
The signal path sounds like a headscratcher to me, of the sort where you need to sit down and spend quality time to wrap your head around it.

Alan, it took quite a bit of mulling over to figure out how this was going to happen with the limited knowledge I have! Here is a block diagram to describe the general audio pathway...
the purple and orange lines represent the two pathways you can take with that channel, reverb->delay, or delay->reverb. The bleed knob controls whether the delays are in parallel or in series.
And here is the actual wiring pathway I used with the boards I had.
The orange stars represent connections to the dual-gang pot for the crossfader. All the way CCW=parallel delays, full CW=Multiplex feeding into Cave Dweller in series, anything in between is a mix between the two. The 3PDT toggle designates the order of reverb and Cave Dweller.

The bonus about the mixer is that it also serves as a clean blend with the Cave Dweller/reverb if it is CCW with the Multiplex off. Like I said, it took a ton of thinking. My head hurts now. It might make more sense when I put down an audio demo soon.

And since everybody likes 'em, purple knobs it is!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

morganp

Wow! Some really cool sounds coming out of that thing!  It's like a soundtrack in a box.  And I love the box, too.
affiliation: www.dustystrings.com