News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PRS SE 20 amp - schematic anyone?

Started by Thomas_H, December 17, 2014, 10:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas_H

I shot a PRS SE 2 Channel on evilBay and it could need some rework soundwise.

Does anyone have a schematic by chance?
DIY-PCBs and projects:

GermanCdn

I checked for the documentation on my SE20, but all I've got is the manual which is of no use.  I have to fix the reverb on mine, so if you find the schem, let me know.

Just so you know, the SE20 only has two channels - Kardashian (dirty even though it claims to be clean) and Aguilera (Dirrtierrrr then even you'd expect).  And it's loud for a 20 watt.  Like ear splitting loud.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

culturejam

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 17, 2014, 06:12:30 PM
Just so you know, the SE20 only has two channels - Kardashian

I've heard this channel has a massive bottom-end.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Thomas_H

I checked for the documentation on my SE20, but all I've got is the manual which is of no use.  I have to fix the reverb on mine, so if you find the schem, let me know.

Just so you know, the SE20 only has two channels - Kardashian (dirty even though it claims to be clean) and Aguilera (Dirrtierrrr then even you'd expect).  And it's loud for a 20 watt.  Like ear splitting loud.

I have two pages I found on the net. It just has some information as which tube is which and about biasing. let me know if you need it :-)
I mailed PRS for the schematic. Maybe they give it to me as it is discontinued :-)

As you have one, may I ask a few questions?
I found that both channels but especially the clean one do have a nasty distorted clipping. Like a crackling/fizzing kind of sound. Thats something yours has as well?
The reverb sounds really metallic and is of no real use for most of the pot settings. It sounds ugly to my ears.
And the lead channel has far too much bass for my taste.

I shot it from a dealer who managed to spill epoxy all over the enclosure.
I totally disassembled it and ripped the box of all its tolex.
Ordered new tolex and will build it from there.

Not sure how you want to fix the reverb but if you just want to replace it its easy.
=>Take rear metalpiece off. unplug the reverb jacks. remove chassis. use screwdriver to open the folded pocket and remove reverb unit.
Reverb is Accutronics/Belton BS3AB2A1B

DIY-PCBs and projects:

GermanCdn

Quote from: culturejam on December 17, 2014, 06:25:01 PM
Just so you know, the SE20 only has two channels - Kardashian

I've heard this channel has a massive bottom-end.

It actually does (see Thomas' comments).  The Aguilera channel sometimes has a massive bottom end, but then miraculously around every second September it returns back to what you'd expect from it, depending on the status of contract negotations.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GermanCdn

Quote from: Thomas_H on December 17, 2014, 06:27:30 PM

I have two pages I found on the net. It just has some information as which tube is which and about biasing. let me know if you need it :-)
I mailed PRS for the schematic. Maybe they give it to me as it is discontinued :-)

As you have one, may I ask a few questions?
I found that both channels but especially the clean one do have a nasty distorted clipping. Like a crackling/fizzing kind of sound. Thats something yours has as well?
The reverb sounds really metallic and is of no real use for most of the pot settings. It sounds ugly to my ears.
And the lead channel has far too much bass for my taste.

I shot it from a dealer who managed to spill epoxy all over the enclosure.
I totally disassembled it and ripped the box of all its tolex.
Ordered new tolex and will build it from there.

Not sure how you want to fix the reverb but if you just want to replace it its easy.
=>Take rear metalpiece off. unplug the reverb jacks. remove chassis. use screwdriver to open the folded pocket and remove reverb unit.
Reverb is Accutronics/Belton BS3AB2A1B

I didn't find the distortion to be all that nasty, per se, I'm guessing it was designed to be a Soldano clone of some sort.  Mine has lots of bass as well, really hits you in the chest.  There isn't really a clean channel to speak of, gain past 2 on my and we're into distortion.

My reverb tank worked for about a month when I got it last year, then it gave up the ghost, so I don't remember it particularly well, though I don't have any bad memories of it.  Truthfully, I probably won't fix it, I have 7 reverb pedals which I could throw in the FX loop and be fine with.

It's easily the loudest 20W amp I've ever played/owned.  It's almost unuseable at home, which would explain the layer of dust on it and why my McCarty leans up against my Marshall 1W head.