News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Layout design question/idea

Started by stevie1556, December 17, 2014, 04:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

I'm going to assume that almost everyone has this problem, in that the wiring is generally what takes the longest time in assembling a pedal. When I make a pedal, a mate generally nicks it, so I need to build another one, and this generally happens several times for each new pedal I build, but they do contribute to the cost of the parts for a new one, which makes this a nearly self funding hobby, but I still spend far too much time building them.

So the time consuming wiring part got me thinking with how to save time and get neater wiring. As I do my board layouts with mounted pots, but have to solder some solid wire to the pots, then solder them to the board, and cut the excess off, board mounted pots isn't really saving me any time, especially as I use pots with the solder lugs. My wiring from the board to the 3PDT board isn't as neat as I would like either.

My solution to the problem is with a board with a foot switch mounted to it, along with the jack sockets. I decided to drop the board mounted jack sockets, but the wiring to the board will be hidden instead, and to have the pots wired to the board (using heat shrink over the cables to keep them together and neat). I redid a simple design I had (Lofo Mofo) just to test the idea out. On a board with more components, I'm planning on having them between the jack socket terminals and the pot terminals. I've realised I've made a mistake with this board in that the components are on the wrong side, but I'm thinking I can just flip the board over.

I've taken a picture of my new layout design so far, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do it like this or not and was wondering on people's opinions. I'm going to neaten up the board a bit tomorrow and send it off so I can try it out.

micromegas

I think it is a good idea for production, or if you're the one who is going to build all those pedals, but in the diy world people like options. People like to be able to use different switching systems or to stack pcbs one on top of the other, or use an asymetric box instead of the standard 1590B.

I've meditated about this issue a lot, and about designing pedals in modules and I always reach the same conclusion:
it is really usefull and pedals could be assembled really fast, but somehow, kills creativity.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

stevie1556

The way I see it, is they could still be used in a multi-fx pedal with order switching quite easily, leaving it as still reasonably versatile. I'm assuming it does, but I've never built a multi-fx pedal with order switching, and I know very little about it.

I very much doubt any of my layouts would be used for a production pedal, it's just to speed up building pedals from when mine get pinched. I absolutely hate doing the wiring, and can never get a neat job doing it. I love designing boards, drilling, powder coating and etching enclosures, building up boards, just not the wiring.

When I get some more boards verified, I'm going to offer them up for sale because they are in SMD for.

micromegas

Quote from: stevie1556 on December 17, 2014, 04:22:07 PM
I love designing boards, drilling, powder coating and etching enclosures, building up boards, just not the wiring.

I understand this perfectly. I've messed up many perfectly soldered pcbs because of wiring...

Quote from: stevie1556 on December 17, 2014, 04:22:07 PM
When I get some more boards verified, I'm going to offer them up for sale because they are in SMD for.

Just in time. One of the things I put in my Christmas Gift List is a book of 0805 resistors and caps.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

stevie1556

I haven't posted a lot of build reports because of messy wiring! I've found using heatshrink over the cables does help though!

Getting the 0805 books is a great way to get your stock level up. You won't need to buy any for ages! :)

jkokura

I won't build a PCB that has pots, switch, and circuit all in one. It's not that I don't think it will work, it's that I worry about it's long term reliability, and its general lack of personal configuration.

I don't mind switch PCBs and Onboard Pot circuit boards. However, doing it all in one is a mistake in my books.

Same with PCBs mounted to jacks. Won't do it unless I know it's something that can withstand the reliability question.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on December 18, 2014, 04:33:45 PM
I won't build a PCB that has pots, switch, and circuit all in one. It's not that I don't think it will work, it's that I worry about it's long term reliability, and its general lack of personal configuration.

+1.  I avoid most foot switch mounted PCBs.  The only exception is if they are very tiny circuits and the pots are not board mounted.  Having everything mounted can cause issues, even if all the hardware is the same height, which it often isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

stevie1556

Jacob and Dave - I'm going to try to roll both your replies into one here.

The original plan was to have everything board mounted, so then I can just drop the board into the enclosure and off I go. Which would be handy as I always end up building each pedal several times over.

I decided that it wasn't a practical idea, for all the reasons you have both mentioned. After some thought, I decided that having the foot switch and jacks board mounted, and wiring the pots onto the board is then the next best option. The plan was to run wires from the pots to the board, and wrap the 3 cables in heat shrink to keep everything neat, as I normally use solder lug pots and solder some solid core wire onto them to make them board mounted, which takes the same amount of time as running wires from them. Then I was having issue trying to get the jacks mounted, as I didn't have any board mounted ones to hand, so wasn't 100% sure exactly where the connection holes should be for them, which made me decide that the best option is to just wire them in. So the picture above is the final result, the foot switch is mounted, the jack connections are on top of the jacks allowing for short wiring, and then the connections for the  power and pots at the top so they can be wired in. In more complicated circuits, the components can go between the jack and pot connections so they have more room. I haven't ordered the boards yet as I'm having second thoughts on it.

I ordered 100 foot switch boards a few months ago from iTead, but they sent me 173, I'm assuming because they are so small, so I'm tempted to just drop this idea and wire them up like I have been doing. Decisions decisions. Only good thing with these foot switch boards I ordered, is that they will last me several years!

BOO

Hey Stevie, mind sharing that Eagle file? PM it to me? I was gonna do an OSHPark order this week anyway, and had been noodling with a similar idea, but using through-hole parts. I like that you went with SMD and would be willing to test it out.

Vallhagen

[Partypooper warning!]
... i find the idea interesting, and i have thought a bit about this myself, but i dont really see benefit?
[\Partypooper warning!]

... let me explain:
When i open and look into any of my boxes w boardmounted pots, i count to (typical, if i exclude the LED and clr) 2 jumpers on the 3pdt footswitch + 3 groundwires + 4 in-out leads = 7 wires + 2 jumpers = 9 in total.

When i look at your pcb suggestion i see 6 offboard wires, where you may exclude one gnd-wire, so it is 5. So far ok, you win by 4, but you still have to solder the 3pdt into something (a pcb, 9 solder points) and you have to struggle with those not-pcb-mounted pots.

If you aim for rationalization, do you really win more than... 3-5 minutes when boxing it up?

Sorry if im boring, but thats how i look at it!

Cheers!
Bengt
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/