News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero Point Micro 2: less tape-like repeats?

Started by morganp, December 19, 2014, 11:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morganp

I've built a ZPMicro2 before (in a bigger housing, to include a slam switch) and now I'm working on a second one to go into a 1590A.  I love the sound of the (mostly) stock unit, but I was curious about changing the sound slightly.  Many of the delay projects out there have the goal of emulating warm tape or analog sounds, but sometimes I like the clear, icy repeats of a digital delay, and I'd like to get that sound out of this build as a compliment to the other one I've built already.  The build doc says:

C11 can be increased for more midrange
and tapelike
repeats. Suggested values are 15n or 22n.
Note that the higher values will increase the noise floor some (a socket is a good idea here)

and that makes me think that lowering that value will decrease the midrange/filtered sound and result in clearer repeats.  I'm worried that less filtering might have unwanted side effects.  Does anyone know if this is true?

The other option is to socket and test, but I'm hesitant to add sockets because the space is so tight in there, I'm not sure the cap + socket will still fit easily.

If this won't work, I'll be satisfied just having the stock delay in the small footprint, so no worries.
affiliation: www.dustystrings.com

madbean

I would not lower the value of C11. Rather, you should lower the value of C15. Go with 10n  8)

morganp

Excellent, thank you. Or rather, it would be excellent, except I just realized I was populating off an old printout that had the deep blue delay values. Now I've got to decide if I want to replace a bunch of components, or just proceed with a dbd and do the cleaner one on a third build.

Anyway, thank you for the input.
affiliation: www.dustystrings.com