News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Taylor Guitar Factory Tour

Started by aziltz, May 22, 2011, 04:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

Just got back from a trip to San Diego and we headed out to El Cajon on Tuesday to tour the Taylor Guitar Factory.  I've been a proud Taylor owner since 2006 when I bought a Solid Sapele and Spruce 214e, (the current 200 series is laminated).

Besides the impressively skilled luthiers, machinists and robots (!), the most impressive thing about Taylor (and even more reason to love them) is that all the 300 level guitars and up are all made in the same factory, by the same people with the same attention to detail.  The only difference is the materials and appointments.  My older 214e was made this same way!

Anyway, I took lots of pictures and threw them all in an album.  The tour goes roughly backwards in the construction process.  Their show room has a ton of guitars you can play and try out. They also include a wall of all 5 shapes with the same construction as well as a wall of the GA shape in all the standard series woods, so you can really compare the shapes and the woods for the sounds.

The 8-string that you see me playing is a baritone 8 string.  It sounds like heaven with the D and G strings doubled up an octave and the whole thing tuned B to B, I believe.

There's a few candids of my fiance and I.  I will apologize in advance.

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/aziltz/2011/Taylor%20Guitar%20Factory/

redbean

Thanks for sharing your tour photos. That place is bigger than I had imagined.
es là-bas!!

cjkbug

I got a "inside the factory" dvd with my 614. I love how they have a finishing robot that sprays a finish on with absolutely no overspray. they put a pos charge on the body( don't ask me how they charge wood) and a neg charge on the finish particles and 99.99% sticks to the guitar...absolutely brilliant, and awesome for the enviroment. my taylor plays and tunes better than most electrics. awesome guitars.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!