News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbaby

Started by Jopn, December 21, 2014, 06:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jopn

Please don't hate me for being one the lucky SOBs that managed to snag one of these short run Dirtbabies.

Hate me for the other following reasons:
1. It sounds absolutely incredible
2. I also managed to nab the lone Moodring that was available ;)

In all seriousness though, I have been disappointed with every PT2399 delay I've built and was ready to just write off building any more digital delays until DIYer development moves to a newer/better platform.  I'm very glad I built this one, because now I know there's hope for these chips yet!  Honestly, it feels like Brian polished a turd and by some miracle made it shine like a diamond.

Obviously my build report is a little premature (1 in 10 of you guys should be able to relate), but I'll update later once I've prettied it up a bit.

The only thing that I need to troubleshoot on this is that I have some footswitch pop.  Since I've wired it for tails, I get a click...click......click...........click............ both when engaging and disengaging.  Might just be the switch, but I'll dig up what I can on them interwebz.

Stomptown

You are very lucky and nicely done! Any chance of a demo?

Jopn

Absolutely.  Working on finding some knobs tonight and will try to get some recording done tomorrow.

alanp

Quote from: Jopn on December 21, 2014, 06:41:30 PM
Obviously my build report is a little premature (1 in 10 of you guys should be able to relate), but I'll update later once I've prettied it up a bit.

Nah, sweet as bro, you just need some India Ink, and some knobs :)

Pretty sweet build, glad to hear you did well out of a PT2399 delay!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

I'll check into the tails thing. I might have made a mistake on that somehow.

Cortexturizer

QuoteIn all seriousness though, I have been disappointed with every PT2399 delay I've built and was ready to just write off building any more digital delays until DIYer development moves to a newer/better platform.

This is absolutely how I feel about pt2399 delays. Glad that you've made it through that build and that you are satisfied with it! Can't wait to hear it.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

LaceSensor

is this gonna get a wider release? Pretty disappointed that it was limited release...
not everyone has the chance or time to sit on the net waiting for whenever in "december" projects get released :(

On a plus side, build looks tidy

brejna

Quote from: Stomptown on December 21, 2014, 06:50:47 PM
You are very lucky and nicely done! Any chance of a demo?
+1

mmlee

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 22, 2014, 03:20:49 AM
is this gonna get a wider release? Pretty disappointed that it was limited release...
not everyone has the chance or time to sit on the net waiting for whenever in "december" projects get released :(

On a plus side, build looks tidy

Projects page says January 2nd  8)
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html
>Marcus

midwayfair

Measure the voltage on both lugs of your tails switch when on and off. If there's a difference in DC, that's the source of your click. (Pin 7 might be slightly higher than pin 3 ... also, when they're connected, R40 and R41 are in parallel which might be making the DC on BOTH change. I'm not seeing a good passive solution if that's the case.) If the voltage is the same and/or doesn't change, then it's most likely mechanical noise being picked up by the circuit, which is also kind of tough to do anything about.

Jopn

Quote from: midwayfair on December 22, 2014, 05:44:15 AM
Measure the voltage on both lugs of your tails switch when on and off. If there's a difference in DC, that's the source of your click. (Pin 7 might be slightly higher than pin 3 ... also, when they're connected, R40 and R41 are in parallel which might be making the DC on BOTH change. I'm not seeing a good passive solution if that's the case.) If the voltage is the same and/or doesn't change, then it's most likely mechanical noise being picked up by the circuit, which is also kind of tough to do anything about.

Thanks Jon, I'm looking at:

Off:
Tails 4.04 / 1.27

On:
Tails 4.22 / 4.22

midwayfair

Quote from: Jopn on December 22, 2014, 06:10:32 AM

Off:
Tails 4.04 / 1.27

On:
Tails 4.22 / 4.22

3V different! There's your problem. What's your Vb measure? Is it also 4.22? If so, we can use the other pole on your switch to make things better.

Jopn

Quote from: midwayfair on December 22, 2014, 06:16:49 AM
Quote from: Jopn on December 22, 2014, 06:10:32 AM

Off:
Tails 4.04 / 1.27

On:
Tails 4.22 / 4.22

3V different! There's your problem. What's your Vb measure? Is it also 4.22? If so, we can use the other pole on your switch to make things better.

Vb (taken from the right side of R40) reads 4.20 off / 4.02 on.

midwayfair

Okay. Here's what I'd do: Just run the third lug to a any of the Vb points. Make sure the pin reading 1.27 when the switch is off is the one on the center lug. Now when you switch it, the tails side will sit at the same voltage as when it's on. If you get any trouble, I can take another look later. I think you could leave off the 100K on the pin 3 side and use that resistor's pad for your Vb control, but Brian might have had it at 50K with the two resistors in parallel for a reason. I'm not sure why your voltage drops to 1.27V, either. Someone else might have a good explanation.

madbean

This is the part where I admit I copied the tails idea over from one of the earlier Dirtbag prototypes but did not check it out thoroughly on the 'baby. So, obviously there is something else at play here. I will look into it as soon as I can and come up with a viable solution. Sorry...I should have been more thorough. But, I will get it solved.