News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boost that is also a light OD?

Started by thesameage, December 23, 2014, 04:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Any suggestions on a full range boost to build (that I can use to drive a muff) but also works to add some light OD? Mainly for use with bass.

playpunk

Kingslayer into muff is awesom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

brejna

GermanCdn

KS/SK are great options, if you're looking for something a little different from that, you can build an RC variant (i.e. JMK's ACDC drive) to bass specs, pretty sure Jacob's got those values in the build docs.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

thesameage

I'm thinking small. Love the Kingslayer>Mudbunny combo, but I'm making a smaller 3 in 1 and would like some boost to drive the mudbunny but don't have a ton of real estate inside of the pedal.

Tremster

Runoffgroove Peppermill is a great sounding low gain pedal, very low parts count, too.

GermanCdn

Quote from: thesameage on December 23, 2014, 02:32:26 PM
I'm thinking small. Love the Kingslayer>Mudbunny combo, but I'm making a smaller 3 in 1 and would like some boost to drive the mudbunny but don't have a ton of real estate inside of the pedal.

If you're lacking on real estate, pick up one of pickdropper's Minitaurs (1590A Klone board).  Hell, pick that up and his mini-muff and you'll have tons of space inside a BB.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

thesameage

It's for a 1790NS. I actually have a mini-muf and mini-klon board. Maybe I'll just put them both together after the holidays. Want to box it up with a kraken and a blend. I have the pop'd kraken and blend board. Just need to order parts for the mini-klon, if I do that.

GrindCustoms

DOD250/DistPlus with bypassed output pot, bigger input cap, LED clippers....

It's loud, gnarly get some light gain going on... does the job very well in a simple manner.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

lars

I second the DOD 250 suggestion. Go for the "original spec" (pre-grey) version, and you might find it's your favorite overdrive. The original version has a lot of clean boost before any grit. It's such a simple circuit, so easy to fit into a lot of other builds too.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

GrindCustoms

Quote from: lars on December 24, 2014, 05:08:53 AM
I second the DOD 250 suggestion. Go for the "original spec" (pre-grey) version, and you might find it's your favorite overdrive. The original version has a lot of clean boost before any grit. It's such a simple circuit, so easy to fit into a lot of other builds too.

That's how i build them for guitar, with a LM741CH opamp and either Ge or BAT41 clippers, but OP asked for something to play on bass.

The LED clippers allows lots more low end to pass through compared to Si or Ge clippers, built stock on bass it sets the low frequency cut quite high.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

thesameage

playpunk

Aion electronics makes one and so does th custom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Mich P

Earthquaker Devices speaker cranker
just add a level knob to control
the grit to unity.
Mich P.

midwayfair

If you're putting the boost right after your bass, then a Rangemaster with a full-range input cap is basically THE benchmark dirty booster.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but my clipper ship is quite literally a boost with a low-medium gain OD in front:

If you build it with silicon diodes and a MOSFET in stage 1 (mostly a drop-in replacement; there are instructions in the build doc for which parts to use), it will be cleaner at max gain (it's already quite clean at minimum) and but not a whole lot louder. And it's LOUD. I believe Jubal81 called it "rocket powered." You shouldn't need to change any parts for bass -- the caps are all overkill already.

My Fallstaff is also a slightly dirty booster, much lighter distortion, based on a Rangemaster but with a buffer and a tone control.