News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NCDTD - New Cheap Dinged Tele Day

Started by culturejam, December 23, 2014, 04:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

I might just go with Sharpie and fingernail clear coat. Fuck it.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on December 23, 2014, 08:46:55 PM

That should be good enough to get you going and be done in 5 minutes
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lars

I would just leave it and start playing the guitar a lot. You've already got a leg up on that relic look, and it just happens to be in a spot that would typically wear out naturally. Before long you'll have a smooth, pick-worn area that makes your guitar look like you've been playing it for 30 years. If you try to fix it, especially with superglue, the finish might get so tough that you end up with really weird-looking wear marks around the fix.

juansolo

How brave are you feeling?

Check out my tele finishing tutorial on my site...

If you decide to do it, get the help of a friend and take your time. If the poly is anything like it was on the Baja, it will come over with a good hair dryer and a pancake flipper...

Shame you're not here, as it was a hugely satisfying thing to do (well apart from the many hours of sanding) and I quite fancy doing another. You could strip it and send it over if you liked. Just would have customs to think about due to our stupid import duties. Could mark it damaged for repair value $22 (inc postage) I suppose... With a big chunk out of it, you might get away with that. Would just need to cover materials (about £30) and return postage.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Hogharry

Quote from: spin on December 23, 2014, 08:30:40 PM
You're temping fate with that much super glue work. My money is on two layers before you've managed to glue your hand to your forehead.
Sounds like exactly what I'd do Spin. Probably wouldn't get to the second layer!

Quote from: culturejam on December 23, 2014, 08:46:55 PM
Gets my vote! I knocked a chip in a "Midnight Wine" Strat and unbelievably my wife had some nail polish in exactly the same colour! I didn't try to level it up but covering the bare wood makes it a lot less obvious. You could save time and use black nail polish, cutting out the laborious Sharpie stage. Not that I'm lazy or anything...  ;D
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

bela1961

I've done this Many times. It works very well and it really is not a lot of work. The biggest time factor is waiting for the glue to dry hard. This is the key to a good result. I'm working on a guitar I built right now I'm doing a large chunk of the lower front face as well as chips on the side and rear. This job has taken a long while only because of the many fills. The guitar was dropped from about waist height to a hard floor( Don't let Moron's mess with your guitars). Should be complete in a few days if desired I will post some pic's.

Soup39

culturejam

Sharpie'd.

Here's a "before" pic:

After:

Here are a couple pics of the neck. I just noticed that the fret ends appear and feel to be covered by something. Almost like Gibson "nibs", but it's wood (I assume). Or the heavy gloss maybe?

Anyway, I love the striping in the grain.

pickdropper

I think it looks much better now. Nice flamed neck, too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

bela1961

Those lines 90 degrees from the fret plane are the fret tangs, which hold the frets in the wood. They are normally cut at a 45 degree angle on the ends so you don't see what you have.

stevie1556

That touch up job looks really good from the pics!

I've just worked out that the price of that guitar works out about £38 over here, that is an absolutely fantastic steal! :)

GermanCdn

Nice save CJ, and beauty flamed neck. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

juansolo

Do you know what would work really well on top of your sharpie... A really thin layer of envirotex.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

culturejam

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 24, 2014, 03:55:10 PM
Nice save CJ, and beauty flamed neck. 

Thanks!

Quote from: juansolo on December 24, 2014, 04:05:28 PM
Do you know what would work really well on top of your sharpie... A really thin layer of envirotex.

I'm sure you're right. I've never used it, though. I'll probably just leave it as is for a while and then do some kind of protective clear.

I just finished setting it up good and proper. Relief was already in the acceptable tolerance, so I left it alone. The action was a touch high. Only one string (A) was more than slightly off in intonation. Overall the factory setup was pretty impressive. I imagine Rondo must be tuning these up before shipping them out.

alanp

That's a really nice score! So, how much did the vivid marker pen and nail polish add to the cost? :P Telecasters really are a very versatile design.

The relic'ing on my Vintage brand LP (seriously, that's the brand name, "Vintage", it's a UK company, I think) has grown on me over time. I heard the NZ Rockshop only bought relic'ed ones because the good 'uns would mean their Epi's would stop selling!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website