News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another 2 in 1 query :-) Overdrives that stack well together

Started by drolo, December 16, 2014, 03:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Quote from: drolo on December 18, 2014, 02:11:22 AM
I have been toying around with the BSIAB/OKKO Diablo configuration and kinda like it a lot. I am surprised at how well it cleans up when the guitar's volume is rolled back. Most op amp based circuits I have tried just get muddy when you do that.

Seems like I will need to stock up on J201's ... let the gamble begin ...
bsaib is one I've been meaning to get back to. And with the big muff tones tack you can mess with the kids a bit. Box of rock might be worth a try as well. I haven't messed with the okko but I've heard good things.
Matt

rumbletone

FYI I just got 50 J201s from small bear and here's how they tested (sorted in 1/4 volt groups, per the test circuit in the BlackBird build doc).

drolo

rumbletone

I'm planning to put a Blackbird and the Plexi in one enclosure, with an A/B (i.e., rather than A+B ), for use with my Matchless HC30. It's really incredible how these circuits so effectively and convincingly change the basic tone of the amp...

PhiloB

I've recently been running a Klon (clean but volume above unity) into an egghead (Clark Gainster) with great results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

culturejam

I've heard that a pair of Bluesbreakers sounds like $235 and several months' wait.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

drolo

Quote from: culturejam on December 18, 2014, 06:06:36 PM
I've heard that a pair of Bluesbreakers sounds like $235 and several months' wait.  ;D
lol not sure it's the sound I'm after  ;D

Rockhorst

The Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret V1 is an OD that stacks unbelievably well with just about any OD in front of it.
I also like stacking a Mad Professor Little Green Wonder with a (treble) booster. Maybe even combining the DLS with the LGW.

drolo

Quote from: Rockhorst on December 19, 2014, 04:29:37 AM
The Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret V1 is an OD that stacks unbelievably well with just about any OD in front of it.
Thats the kind of circuits I am looking into at the moment (bsiab, okko diablo, pinnacle etc). Now I am still figuring out how to implement treble and mids controls without getting too complex. I am not too convinced  with the bsiab tone stack with presence. Not a fan of the BMP style tone control. I much prefer a WSTC most of the times + a mids dip/boost

teknoman2

I was waiting for 14 months to be first in the list and now I am really thinking why should I buy it.... ???
Despite that my opinion is that Mike doing great job but with this long list is loosing a lot of customers.

alanp

On an unrelated note, I'd quite like a Bluesbreaker amp, if it weren't that I suspect it would be similar to my low power tweed twin. (Except for the fact that the LPTT has to be strongly abused to distort.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

Quote from: teknoman2 on December 19, 2014, 05:05:43 AM
I was waiting for 14 months to be first in the list and now I am really thinking why should I buy it.... ???
Despite that my opinion is that Mike doing great job but with this long list is loosing a lot of customers.

There's no doubt that Mike and his crew put out quality products. So you can't go wrong on that front.

If you don't want to wait, there are plenty of used KOTs for sale on ebay, Reverb, and forums like TGP. But you will pay extra for skipping the wait.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Willybomb

QuoteI've recently been running a Klon (clean but volume above unity) into an egghead (Clark Gainster) with great results!
Good to hear, I'm about to build exactly that, with the addition of a compressor in front of the whole lot.