News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

seeking little Ge transitor tester project

Started by LizardKing, December 26, 2014, 07:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizardKing

Anyone have a little project to make a tester to test gain and leakage of Ge trannies?
I have a collection of trannies I'd like to test and mark for future projects and wouldn't mind
making a neat test fixture to do it with!

Soup39

I think I have a spare etched board.  let me check the stack, if I do it's yours.

LizardKing

Quote from: Soup39 on December 27, 2014, 10:59:15 AM
I think I have a spare etched board.  let me check the stack, if I do it's yours.

That is very nice, but I can etch my own boards if you can lead me to the docs.
Even the name of the project would help, I've googled up nothing!

selfdestroyer

Soup39

LizardKing

Quote from: Soup39 on December 27, 2014, 05:04:08 PM
funny, the extra I have is rullywow.
IC, never heard of it.
That link gives me a:
We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service.

Are y'all referring to this: http://www.rullywow.com/jfet-matcher-project-vgsoff/ ?
I did find the build docs with the pcb so I can etch one, THANKS!
Does anyone use an old Heathkit transistor testor such as an IM30?
I think I have one somewhere....

davent

That one serves a different purpose. Here's a vero layout for a tester, if you add another strip of vero at the top and jumper it to the "E" strip you can test any transistor pinout without having to contort the leads.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2012/08/germanium-transistor-tester.html
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

LizardKing

Quote from: davent on December 28, 2014, 03:56:56 PM
That one serves a different purpose. Here's a vero layout for a tester, if you add another strip of vero at the top and jumper it to the "E" strip you can test any transistor pinout without having to contort the leads.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2012/08/germanium-transistor-tester.html
dave

Ah yes, this is the one that had wondering if someone had ever made a little project that didn't require a dmm or any math (direct reading).
I am thinking the answer is not.
Anyone interested in such a thing?
A cheap lcd, and arduino, and a simple board with power could be whipped up without too much trouble...

davent

There's a little cheap chinese bare bones meter available that does a pile of useful tests for us outside the DMM realm, someplace 'round here there is a link. Not sure is does leakage but that's easy enough to test for.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

Quote from: davent on December 28, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
There's a little cheap chinese bare bones meter available that does a pile of useful tests for us outside the DMM realm, someplace 'round here there is a link. Not sure is does leakage but that's easy enough to test for.

I got a cheap Chinese tester and it does everything (resistors, capacitors, inductors, transistors), including leakage. It even measures ESR for electrolytic caps.

Here's more info:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=16393.0
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

davent

Yup, that's the one i was thinking of, thanks!
dave

culturejam

I use mine all the time. Basically, I use it for everything that isn't testing voltage or current draw.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

LizardKing

Doing the research on this project, thanks!