News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD!

Started by Kinki fuzz, December 28, 2014, 06:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinki fuzz

Not much, but it's an amp, and it's new for me...
Bought it as an emergency amp, and had the opportunity to test it yesterday. Very nice considering what it is, played with a triangle muff with mids,  very useable and powerful rock tone.
And it's loud. 20 watts in a pocket.

LizardKing

How does it sound?
What chip is it using for a PA?

Kinki fuzz

It's clean, quite neutral, i would say, not a bad clean tone. It gets dirtier if you turn it up past half or so, bright switch is for extra treble, nice for some settings i guess.
I think it realy needs some pedals un front, but that's not a problem for us, is it?:-)
Believe me or not, didn't open it up, yet. I'll post a pic!

mremic01

Center positive? Sacrilege!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: mremic01 on December 28, 2014, 01:16:29 PM
Center positive? Sacrilege!

First thing I noticed also.

I searched around and it looks like it uses the TPA3001D1
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3001d1.pdf

I would also love to see some gut shots.

Cody

LizardKing

Quote from: Kinki fuzz on December 28, 2014, 08:16:30 AM
It's clean, quite neutral, i would say, not a bad clean tone. It gets dirtier if you turn it up past half or so, bright switch is for extra treble, nice for some settings i guess.
I think it realy needs some pedals un front, but that's not a problem for us, is it?:-)
Believe me or not, didn't open it up, yet. I'll post a pic!

Sound like what I'd want out of a solid state pedal amp!
Think those tpa3001s are pretty solid chips too!
May have to get one of these....

So, why are y'all hating on center positives?
Is this like hating on people with outie bellybuttons?
Ghod, I HATE those people.

morganp

I got one of these for a backup too, and needed to use it so often (as my tube amps went down one after another) that I just got the Magnum 44 version, and now that's my main amp.  Feels kinda weird, since I've been a tube guy for so long, but man, it's easy to move around and there is zero maintenance.  I built a speaker cab and a pedal board from some old cedar boards we had at work and now my rig looks super funky, works effectively, and has almost zero resale value.  The pedal board is mostly bare boxes with masking tape on them, and once I finish the guitar I'm building it will all be theft proof.  Most of my sound is coming from my pedals, so the amp is less relevant, but it does react like a tube amp in some ways.  Running a Britannia or an Azabache in front is pretty effective.
affiliation: www.dustystrings.com

mremic01

Quote from: LizardKing on December 28, 2014, 05:20:20 PM
So, why are y'all hating on center positives?
Is this like hating on people with outie bellybuttons?
Ghod, I HATE those people.

Really, it's just annoying to need yet another wall wart.

Is there some reason center negative has become the industry standard? I think it would make more sense to have the center be positive and the barrel neg. That way, if the barrel touches the enclosure, there's no short.

Kinki fuzz

Sorry about the pic quality

Yes it uses a TPA3001D1.