News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Morley Sapphire Flanger Box

Started by RobA, December 28, 2014, 12:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

While wandering around the web looking for other schematics, I happened on one for the Morley Sapphire Flanger Box -- never heard of it before. It uses an MN3207 with a CD4007 and CD4047 as the logic glue between the LFO and BBD with no weird IC's. So, I'm wondering if anyone's heard the thing.

Here's a link to the schematic, http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Flangers/Morley%20sapphire%20flanger.pdf.

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Scruffie

It sounds alright IMO (I think in the gallery of diystompboxes member cathexis has some sound samples if i'm right...) but it's no A/DA or Mistress, just a kinda standard sounding chorusy flanger, no huge jets or anything.
Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

I didn't expect it to be up there with the A/DA. (I've been having a great time with my Flintlock!) But I've had this idea based on an AU I did floating around in my head for a while now and if this flanger is pretty good at being chorusie-flangerish (and maybe vibey), it might work for what I need. I'd like to be able to stick with cheap and easily available on the IC's because it'll take two of them. 
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Scruffie

AU? But in that case yeah it should be okay I think, kinda like an improved Boss flanger circuit wise.
Works at Lectric-FX

RobA

Quote from: Scruffie on December 28, 2014, 04:16:13 PM
AU? But in that case yeah it should be okay I think, kinda like an improved Boss flanger circuit wise.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it a try.

AU = Audio Unit. VST like thing for OS X.

Govmnt_Lacky

The ONLY MN3207 flanger that I have ever liked is the Lovetone.

The adapted A/DA is about the only MN3007-based flanger that I actually like.

For some reason, they all lack the "warmth" that the SAD-based flangers have  :-\

RobA

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 28, 2014, 04:40:20 PM
The ONLY MN3207 flanger that I have ever liked is the Lovetone.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look in to how the Lovetone is done too, but I think having two copies of that on one pedal would end up with a few too many controls ;).