News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Video: Laser Engraving a Faceplate (and it's really good to be back)

Started by rullywowr, December 30, 2014, 11:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Hey guys, haven't been active on MB for a while due to moving to a new house and all the "fun" that goes along with it (packing, moving, negotiations, realtors, bargaining etc).  I have been supporting my website @ www.rullywow.com but just haven't had time to do any projects (really jonesing) as everything is in a box "somewhere".  We moved in just before Christmas and now are setup pretty well. 

I am very excited to unpack all my electronics paraphernalia out of their boxes and get setup again to do more development and tinkering.  I don't think I have soldered anything in 6 mos  :-\   The "wifey" has allowed me my very own room for this as well as the basement and garage have huge workspaces.  I am totally psyched and thinking how best to setup my "lab".

Anyways, here is a video of me engraving a couple of simulated wood ("Moogish") faceplates on the Epilog which you might find cool (or insanely boring):

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jubal81

Glad to see you back, bud. We figured you'd gone on tour with Brian May ....

And that laser work is very badass. Wow. I'd be playing with that for days.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

Glad your back Ben. Thanks for the video as it just makes me jealous that I don't have access to one. lol

Side note:
I put in a order with you yesterday and I am in no hurry for the PCBs so don't stress about shipping them if its not convenient. I know what its like to move and try to still function.

Cody

Leevibe

cooder

Great to have you back and getting into it again, Ben! Congrats to new house and workspace, will be awesome I'm sure!
Face plate engraving is superb! Would you also do that on order, for example for amp face plates up to 500mm wide?
BigNoise Amplification

rullywowr

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!  I have a lot of catching up to do, but it's great to see all the generous PIFs and bad-ass builds you all are churning out.  The bar is continually raised.   *drool* 8)

Quote from: cooder on December 30, 2014, 01:39:00 PM
Great to have you back and getting into it again, Ben! Congrats to new house and workspace, will be awesome I'm sure!
Face plate engraving is superb! Would you also do that on order, for example for amp face plates up to 500mm wide?

Thanks man.  Sure thing about the face plates...send me a PM

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 30, 2014, 12:41:59 PM
I put in a order with you yesterday and I am in no hurry for the PCBs so don't stress about shipping them if its not convenient. I know what its like to move and try to still function.

Thanks Cody, It's all good.   I am completely setup for this so no worries - it will go out ASAP.  I've made it a priority to ensure the website runs smoothly during all of this and have still always tried to ship out orders within 24 hours. 

Quote from: jubal81 on December 30, 2014, 12:01:25 PM
Glad to see you back, bud. We figured you'd gone on tour with Brian May ....
And that laser work is very badass. Wow. I'd be playing with that for days.

Thanks J!  I've been "touring" with my band around the area but certainly not on the Brian May level lol.

alanp

That looks so damn beautiful :)

BTW, everyone, Rully is rully, rully good at doing these faceplates :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

rumbletone

Looks great! What material is that that etches to white for the labelling? I have access to some laser cutters and want to experiment - both for pedals and for amps (I just built my first amp recently....).

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

rullywowr

Rully...wow!
The material is LaserMax by a company named Rowmark.  They have many different colors with various colors under which engrave when the top is engraved away.

And yes...Superjudge will appear in the shop "rully" soon! 

rumbletone

Quote from: rullywowr on December 31, 2014, 06:10:26 AM

The material is LaserMax by a company named Rowmark.  They have many different colors with various colors under which engrave when the top is engraved away.

Thanks!