News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help with a diagnosis

Started by sdlogan9, January 01, 2015, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlogan9

A customer of mine as posed a potential problem with a Klon Klone he bought from me.  I have never heard of this or had this happen before.  any ideas?

"

Hi Shane...

I've had this problem twice in as many days and figured it is time to call for help...

One two occasions I've plugged my Klone in and turned on my amp (once with a silverface Princeton Reverb, the other with a silverface Champ) to hear loud feedback / hum through the speaker. The problem has been isolated to the Klone - no other pedal of any type created the sound using the same amp, cables and guitar.

The sound is quite loud and independent of any adjustments of the knobs on the Klone, and it makes the same sound with or without a guitar plugged in. It diminishes as I turn the amp volume down.

The first time it happened was late at night, so after attempting to diagnose it, I figured I'd deal with it in the morning and went to bed. It seemed to work fine the next morning after i swapped the battery,  though it seemed a bit "quieter," like i had to turn the gain up a little more than before. That might have been my imagination, though.

The second time it happened was just a few minutes ago. I've tried changing the battery but that wasn't the problem - the same battery was fine in other pedals, and the Klone made the same sound with the new battery. Nothing alleviated the problem.

Thoughts or advice? I've got the original packaging and can ship it back if you want to have a look.

I still love the pedal, and I know electrical gremlins can be a bitch to diagnose, so I'm not sweating it. Let me know how to proceed.

Thanks!     "

midwayfair

Sounds like a bad ground connection on one of the jacks. Have him shake the enclosure while plugged in to see if he can make it happen

drolo

I have more or less the same happening with a Chimaera I built some time ago. Intermittent. I have not felt like debugging it yet though, but I suspect that Jon is right on the spot.