News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2014 in review - 2015 outlook

Started by madbean, December 16, 2014, 02:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas_H

Thats a great roadmap Brian.
I really am impressed with the number of projects you do and the quality of them.

I started to sell Boards together with hard-to-source parts quite some time ago and this is easy for me. Only a stack of few parts in quantities and they are quick to pack and ship.

On the other hand I started to sell kits of some of my switching solutions and I am shipping full kits to my prototypers. Thats really a tough job. Not only do you need quite a lot of parts in numbers -it takes a lot of time to put the kits together and quality assure them.
Think twice before you do that :-)
DIY-PCBs and projects:

FuzzTony

Speaking personally, the fact that you weren't offering kits was the impetus for me to start my parts library, and I've sure learned a heck of a lot more that way, and had more fun too.

GrindCustoms

That was one hell of a year man...! :o

Congrats on what have made it and what is to come ;)

Quote from: madbean on December 17, 2014, 11:22:55 AM
Any kits I do would not be like BYOC/GGG, etc. It would be components only...basically everything you need to build the board and test it. So, no hardware or enclosures (except for pots, I guess).

Anyway, I have not committed to it in any way. It's just been on my mind for the last two years so I am exploring the financial and time commitment required to do such a thing.

I'm in that exact line of thoughts.. i'm currently experimenting that approach with the tube stuff and other upcoming stuff where i'll be supplying the core parts to make the project viable for more people.

Going in a PCB/Component way is far more within reach than supplying the whole thing like BYOC or GGG those, the investment needed grows insanely fast.

When i first started to sell the Chimaera, i was offering components kits for it... i think i've put over 150 of them together for a certain GB on BYOC... with what i thought was the best method i could come up with to divide all the parts, iirc it took me around 10 hours in a row to make them all... i went to bed and was still seeing resistor and capacitors...

You definitly have to go big to make the kit happens... otherwise the time per kit will not make it viable for you, there's a slight cut to be made on the parts/labor but it only becomes beneficial with quantity.

Rej

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

HKimball

I won't have any real time until March of this year to work on projects, but so far I've been really happy with this place. This is a much cheaper hobby than working on my car lol.

By way of suggestions, I used to be part of a car forum and there was a "lounge" area that was like a big group chat where you could go to ask a quick question, and if someone was there they could answer it. It was mostly for off topic shooting the breeze kind of stuff though.

As far as technical information goes, this place is awesome. I need to spend more time here and at diy stompboxes though because I still have a ton to learn.

Looking forward to a great 2015, and specifically the fat pants Jr.

juansolo

<Yorkshireman mode>

Aye, tha's dun alreet lad. *nods*

</Yorkshireman mode>
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk