News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gibson Les Paul Monitors.

Started by raulduke, January 06, 2015, 09:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Just noticed these monstrosities:

See here: http://en.audiofanzine.com/active-monitor/gibson/lp8/news/a.play,n.19086.html

Just when I thought Gibson couldn't tarnish their image further, they slap a legends name on a quite frankly disgusting looking design.

Everyone knows a speaker only sounds good if its Cherryburst VOS finished though right!?!

This must be them expanding into their 'luxury lifestyle' brand-phase.

I think next in line should be luxury watches.

Rant over  ;D

selfdestroyer

yeah that's exactly what Gibson needs to be doing... focusing on studio monitors. /Sarcasm

Cody

pickdropper

I'm going to hold out for the period correct '59 Gibson Les Paul Monitors made with hide glue and a flich matched top.   ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

As much as I tend to pile on to all things Gibson, it's not like they're hideous.  Depending on the quality of the speakers, I could see having a pair of these in my man cave.  But yes, I agree, their efforts are better spent elsewhere.

With regards to Gibson being a lifestyle brand, that's what Henry thinks that they are.  Whether or not this is true is debateable, but it's been his goal for a number of years (actually, pretty much since he shut down musicyo and began marketing Gibson parts/accessories directly).

I miss musicyo.  If there was "one that got away" for me, it was a limited run MIK Kramer tele (you laugh, but I had one of their standards and they were easily as good as an MIM standard for 40% of the price) with an LR Baggs bridge and SD STL-1 pups for $349.  Henry could spend more time and money on those type of ideas, and developing a straight pull headstock.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

Oh yes, Henry has been going down this path for quite some time.  I expect it's just going to expand from here, regardless of the success of the Les Paul Monitors.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gordo

I don't know, you could put a foam clown nose on the grill and it could represent Les' vaudeville years...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

GrindCustoms

Maple cap for crispier high end... rofl
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

raulduke

Gibson microphones to go with your speakers now:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/01/09/gibson-brands-launches-neat-microphones/

These ones actually look quite cool though (I think 3rd man records has had a big influence...)

The boy-band-esque shot of the team not so cool  ;D

alanp

My first thought would have been sitcom, actually.

That sounds kinda interesting for a premise. Four guys, all recently divorced, flatting together (to save money that's already being drained by child support) for the first time... in their forties (with one thirty-something for the cultureshock.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Haberdasher

I kinda like that mic, even if it is a bit "Pittsburgh Steelers"

The monitors are hideous.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Shrtyska9

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 09, 2015, 07:13:40 AM

I wonder if they offer a steel curtain reflection filter to go with the Mic. Lol.

Agreed the monitors look aweful.

Richard

Richard

blearyeyes

Spray the monitors with flat clear coat to tone them down? Maybe a neutral density filter to keep them from blinding you while your mixing?
Oh yea, Gibsons are not really made for using,  they are an investment item, so perhaps seal them in a solid block of clear Epoxy with your 59 Gold Top and use it as a coffee table?

Willybomb

QuoteI miss musicyo.  If there was "one that got away" for me, it was a limited run MIK Kramer tele (you laugh, but I had one of their standards and they were easily as good as an MIM standard for 40% of the price) with an LR Baggs bridge and SD STL-1 pups for $349.  Henry could spend more time and money on those type of ideas, and developing a straight pull headstock.

Same.  For me it was the neck through Musicyo Baretta.  I have a Musicyo Striker that is pretty damn good, and cost be about AU$400 inc shipping and only took 7 days to get here back when the AUD was about 0.67USD..  The quadrails sucked badly but with a JB in the bridge it is a great rock machine...

LizardKing

Quote from: Shrtyska9 on January 09, 2015, 09:22:29 AM
Quote from: Haberdasher on January 09, 2015, 07:13:40 AM

I wonder if they offer a steel curtain reflection filter to go with the Mic. Lol.

Agreed the monitors look aweful.

Richard

Email Henry, I bet he'd do it.

This has to be the douchiest pic I've ever seen:

Seriously,  WTF is WRONG with these people?