News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are these diodes?

Started by adam_bz, January 06, 2015, 10:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam_bz

Ive bought these off a guy marked as 1n34a, are they that or has he mis sold?

playpunk

Those aren't 1n34.... Look like tayda si fakes to mee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

adam_bz

midwayfair

They are a silicon Schottky workalike for a 1N34A.

Depending on the application, it may not matter that they aren't germanium, but you should get your money back if you paid more than about 4c each.

adam_bz

Do you know 'what they are' I've got myself a refund now anyway so if they are of any use I will keep them just incase, but it'd be nice to know what they are.

midwayfair

Quote from: adam_bz on January 06, 2015, 11:57:49 AM
Do you know 'what they are'

Seriously? It's the first sentence I wrote:

Quote from: midwayfair on January 06, 2015, 11:28:21 AM
They are a silicon Schottky workalike for a 1N34A.

Kind of like how a 1N60P is a silicon schottky workalike for 1N60. The part number is probably 1N34, so they can sell them as "1N34," but they're unmarked, so unless the seller deliberately mismarked them and knows the real part number or you have a line on the factory that supplied them to the guy who sold them to you to ask them, you're never going to find out, but there is a silicon schottky workalike for 1N34A that is sold as 1N34A, and it looks like that. Which is meaningless anyway. Part numbers don't sound like anything. Measure them with your multimeter and use them where you need the forward voltage they provide.

mremic01

Every time I've seen these, they're listed as germanium. But yeah, I doubt it. Either way, PCE used them in quite a few Aluminum Falcons...

chromesphere

I think part of the confusion comes from this document.  Some people will say that the manufacture is deliberately misleading and as cynical as I am, still not sure if I believe that.  But perhaps like others have said, these are 1n34's and not the "a" variety?  Either way, I've removed my 1n34a's from my store, as information and reliable sourcing has become difficult.  You can still buy 1n34a's, the real deal, 100% gurranteed, I can get em.  But they will be $2 a pop :)

http://www.futurlec.com.au/diodes/1N34A.jsp
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

mremic01

Quote from: chromesphere on January 06, 2015, 08:42:06 PM
I think part of the confusion comes from this document.  Some people will say that the manufacture is deliberately misleading and as cynical as I am, still not sure if I believe that.  But perhaps like others have said, these are 1n34's and not the "a" variety?  Either way, I've removed my 1n34a's from my store, as information and reliable sourcing has become difficult.  You can still buy 1n34a's, the real deal, 100% gurranteed, I can get em.  But they will be $2 a pop :)

http://www.futurlec.com.au/diodes/1N34A.jsp

Why remove them when you could just be open what they are? Or aren't. I've got plenty of suspect '1N34A's that sound great and I wish I could get more. I've also got a bunch of supposed 1N270s from Tayda that have twice the fv, and also sound great. I'm not quite as happy with their recent shipments that are actually in spec. But those have weird misshapen packages. All pass the germanium test.

chromesphere

I know they sound fine, you know they sound fine, but when your a 'seller' you quickly discover that your in the public firing line and you have to be sure of what you sell.  I understand why, as a consumer I too expect to receive what I order.

Part reliability is more important to me then stocking another diode.  If I can't guarantee my parts are what they are then I don't wish to stock them.  You have no idea how much time and energy and oh yeah, money, I have wasted on this diode.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

mremic01

So what exactly is the state of the 1N34A, or any germanium diode? Are they still being made, or is all the stock NOS?

mremic01

...and now I've just blown 170$ on germanium diodes.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: mremic01 on January 07, 2015, 12:59:45 PM

Good lord! Get to recouping that money on a build, fast before the wife finds out (in my case)! lol

Cody

mremic01

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 07, 2015, 01:01:48 PM
Quote from: mremic01 on January 07, 2015, 12:59:45 PM

Good lord! Get to recouping that money on a build, fast before the wife finds out (in my case)! lol

Cody

No wife, sadly. But my guinea pigs might be unhappy that I didn't put that money towards carrots. Ultimately, the search for Bill's magic diodes is worth it, right?

playpunk

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk