News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking II Switch Mod Question

Started by BrianS, January 06, 2015, 01:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianS

If someone who has built one of these could help me out I would appreciate it. Pedal sounds fantastic but not getting much out of the clip, thick or fat mods. It's like they don't do much at all. Is this normal or have I screwed something up (this would cetainly not surprise me as it is the norm with me building these things). I did a search and found the same posted questions but no one replied to it. Thanks,
Brian

mgwhit

Unless you used two varieties of diodes that have very similar forward voltages (e.g. two pairs of Germaniums or two pairs of Silicon rectifiers) you should at least have significant volume differences between the two Clipping switch positions.  What kind of diodes did you use?  Is there a volume difference?

And did you use the pads for D6-9 for your clipping diodes instead of D1-2?  If you accidentally used pads D1-2, there's a good chance the clipping switch won't do anything -- especially if you put 1N34As there.

I'll let someone else weigh in on the Fat and Thick mods.

BrianS

I didn't put any in d1-2. I have 134's in d6-7. I think bat 41s in d8-9. I will put 4001s in and see if there is any difference. I will try and let you know results. Thanks.

AntKnee

I have not built my Sunking II yet, but my Kingslayer II (which is very similar) does exactly what you describe. I used 1N34A and 4001 diodes, and I notice almost no difference with the clipping or fat switches.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

solderfumes

I built a Kingslayer II with all 3 mods.  As mgwhit pointed out, differences in the clipping section might well come down to what diodes you used.  I used 1N34As for the normal clipping and 1N4001/yellow LED in the other position, and that's definitely a noticeable change.

The fat switch is pretty apparent on mine.  The thick switch is much more subtle: it's barely noticeable through my little practice amp, but is more so through Amplitube and my M-Audio AV-40s.