News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just found this by the curb....

Started by ggarms, January 06, 2015, 06:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggarms

And I don't know what to do with it yet! The image is from google- Mine isn't clean yet so I wanted you guys to see what it will look like shortly. It powers on but I am only getting white noise. Since my knowledge of tube based circuits is approximately zero, I'm thinking getting it working may not be worth the effort. HOWEVER. This would look killer as an amp enclosure ( i really want to build an amp). Anyone have any thoughts?

AntKnee

I would gut and put a modern mp3, bluetooth, or the like in it.
That thing is awesome.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

ggarms

They are tung sol from what I can read. Don't know enough about tubes to id further

m-Kresol

If you can bring it back to live, awesome. If not, you could easily fit a raspberry pi into it and use it as a media centre to stream your music, films and stuff.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Scruffie

Quote from: ggarms on January 07, 2015, 02:21:55 PM
They are tung sol from what I can read. Don't know enough about tubes to id further
I just wondered with what was in there if perhaps a decent mini tube amp could be made, no matter :)
Works at Lectric-FX

pryde

Super cool.
I would try to get it going first, if no luck then make a little tube head out of it. lots of options like a fender F52a, etc.

mgwhit

I wouldn't bother with it as a radio.  If that's a Zenith K725, they're a rat's nest of point-to-point connections with seven tubes and no isolation transformer (== dangerous).  It does look awesome, though.  A Tweed Princeton (5F2A), a single channel Tweed Deluxe (5E3), a single channel 18 Watt or one of the Phat Ass variants they rave about on the Weber amp forums would fit nicely in that chassis, though.  You're gonna have to buy transformers, though.  Still I think gutting it and building a simple amp would be a lot easier than restoring it.  Just my $0.02.  Good luck!

ggarms

Quote from: mgwhit on January 07, 2015, 04:54:57 PM
I wouldn't bother with it as a radio.  If that's a Zenith K725, they're a rat's nest of point-to-point connections with seven tubes and no isolation transformer (== dangerous).  It does look awesome, though.  A Tweed Princeton (5F2A), a single channel Tweed Deluxe (5E3), a single channel 18 Watt or one of the Phat Ass variants they rave about on the Weber amp forums would fit nicely in that chassis, though.  You're gonna have to buy transformers, though.  Still I think gutting it and building a simple amp would be a lot easier than restoring it.  Just my $0.02.  Good luck!

That's exactly the advice I was looking for :) I was checking some of the various 5e3 kits out there. Seems like a good place to start with amps.

ggarms

Quote from: Scruffie on January 07, 2015, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: ggarms on January 07, 2015, 02:21:55 PM
I just wondered with what was in there if perhaps a decent mini tube amp could be made, no matter :)

Yeah, it's definitely toobz, however my knowledge is so limited on amps and the unit is so old that I think it would be best (as suggested) to gut it and use as the basis for a cool first amp project. I'll keep you guys posted! It is winter and I have been itching for a big project...