News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Looking for good quality breadboard (preferably in Europe)

Started by drolo, January 07, 2015, 11:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drolo

I had bought a breadboard years ago that was great and is just now starting to feel a bit loose on the connections.
Since then I have bought 2 others (Tayda or Banzai ... don't remember) and these are just crap. You never know if a connection is OK and lose more time debugging faulty connections than your actual circuit ...

I can't remember for the life of me where I got the old one from. It was a light brownish color. The new ones are the cheap chinese white stuff you get everywhere and it seems that all the places like Tayda, Banzai, Musikding etc only carry these same ones.

Does anyone know where to find good, sturdy breadboards?

dont-tase-me-bro

Global specialties or elenco.  Some of them have built in power supplies
I thought this would save me money.

RobA

I bough one Tayda breadboard as a test. It's unusable. The main thing wrong with it is that it's too stiff in the connections. I can't imagine what it would be like to try to push a flimsy lead Tayda resistor into a super stiff Tayda breadboard.

I've got a bunch of breadboards from Amazon and they are all fine (and pretty cheap). I don;t think you are going to find a breadboard that isn't cheap and made in China anymore. But, some are better quality than others. This is one of them that I haven an it's OK http://www.amazon.com/BB830-Solderless-Plug--BreadBoard-tie-points/dp/B0040Z4QN8/. They make a clear version of that same board. Don't get that one. It's harder to see where the connections line up.

I recommend against getting any of them that have a back of any sort on them. The reason is that after a bit of use, the connections on all of them feel loose and the contact isn't as solid. If you run your thumb back and forth solidly on the foam back of the board, it'll push the contacts back up in place and the boards as good as new. If it's attached to a backing, it'd be harder to do this and the backings don't seem to keep the pins from being pushed down. They do help a bit, but not enough to fix the problem.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

drolo

That's really interesting info about the breadboard bottoms.
Thanks also guys for the suggestions, those Global specialties look exactly like the old one I have.
I just seem to have difficulty finding them in europe and shipping is expensive from the US. Will check mouser perhaps