News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Through-zero flanging achieved w/Current Lover circuit

Started by lars, January 08, 2015, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

Quote from: LaceSensor on January 09, 2015, 08:38:14 AM

That sounds awesome! Just out of curiosity, does that chorus allow you to completely kill the dry signal? That was the one problem with the Bf2, it doesnt work for TZF in stock form. Im so glad Brian included those send/return pads, there are so many things you can do with them. I was thinking, what if you put your fuzz in the loop, so that it only distorts the short delay? Maybe stack a phaser in there as well. :) Im definitely going to mod my current lover to have the loop usable through 1/4 jacks and let the experimenting begin!
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Scruffie

I'll just describe it, too tired to mess about with drawing and uploading photos :)

Okay, current lover, on the schematic the 4049 is the clock buffer, wire in the exact same bit of circuit between the 3207 pins 2 & 6 and corresponding 3102 pins on your lovetone schematic. Drop the 100pF cap in value... try 22pF? I can't be bothered to do the calculations right now.

Then, from the output cap run a 100k series resistor in to the inverting (-) pin of an opamp, connect the inverting pin and output of it with another 100k and the non-inverting (+) should go to V.Ref (as that doesn't have one you'll have to make one, I wouldn't share it with the current lover board). Then the output goes in to the return (there's already a 220nF cap there so it doesn't need its own output cap).

Hope that makes sense.
Works at Lectric-FX

lars

Ok, more interesting stuff. I tried putting my polyphase in the send/return loop along with the bf2. As long as you keep the feedback at 0 and a slow sweep, you get that stronger through zero effect like in lacesensor's clip. The cool part is, you turn off your phaser, and your back to classic additive flanging. So you dont have to settle on one or the other, you can have both!

Scruffie

It's quite possible to add a toggle between inverting & non-inverting, so additive/subtractive could be done with a foot switch if desired.

And Lars, the Polyphase is inverting so that would explain a lot of it, although... phase stages can add something to flanging for which the name and effect of escapes me at the moment... theta something. Something to do with spreading out the notches I think but too tired to think, I don't think it's effect is dramatic enough to bother with the added circuitry if you were building a pedal though unless as you did just put it in a loop with a separate pedal... it may also be that it's more effective in the feedback path, i'd have to look in to it.
Works at Lectric-FX

lars

Quote from: Scruffie on January 09, 2015, 01:13:29 PM
It's quite possible to add a toggle between inverting & non-inverting, so additive/subtractive could be done with a foot switch if desired.

And Lars, the Polyphase is inverting so that would explain a lot of it, although... phase stages can add something to flanging for which the name and effect of escapes me at the moment... theta something. Something to do with spreading out the notches I think but too tired to think, I don't think it's effect is dramatic enough to bother with the added circuitry if you were building a pedal though unless as you did just put it in a loop with a separate pedal... it may also be that it's more effective in the feedback path, i'd have to look in to it.
Yeah, that's the beauty of the Current Lover circuit, you don't have to add circuitry, just use pedals that already exist (and most of us probably already have), to expand it's feature set, like lacesensor did. People usually go through design calculation headaches for the sound he was able to make from just the Current Lover and a Dr Scientist Cosmichorus pedal. (how many of us want one of those after watching the demo?)

The key is to make sure you don't let any dry signal through the SND/RTN loop, it has to start off slightly delayed. Then you can just stack all different combos of phasers, chorus, flangers, univibe ??? and probably come up with some really unique sounds. Maybe then run the whole sound through a delay going to a Leslie cab. Modulation Madness!!!

LaceSensor

ill take a look into your ideas scruff, ill have to vero something up. thanks!

lars, the DR scientist allows fully wet blend, yes.

It sounds really excellent in the loop. I would like to make something that doesnt require a whole 'nother pedal though

Scruffie

You can do it on any flanger, you don't really need the send/return pads, just remove the dry mix resistor and add it on to your daughter circuit and you have your send/return pads. I experimented a lot with TZF and the current lover isn't even the greatest base for it IMO, I did build a TZF A/DA but it was on a moosapotamus board and I didn't want to go bigger than a 1590D to box it all and that sounded fantastic, much more obvious sound even in additive and separate control over the flanger and dry line being inverting or not added some interesting possibilities.

I would actually suggest the collosalus, should be a great platform for TZF as it has a sort of... gritty sound (thanks in part to its soft clipping) that should lend well to bringing the sound out and also its frequency range. Something to be said for using companding too...

Oh and back to the comparison between tape flanging and me saying apples and oranges, just to say as something to think about, there was no feedback added there either.

So... should I convince Keefe for Lectric FX to do an all in one TZF?  ???
Works at Lectric-FX

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on January 09, 2015, 02:47:05 PM
ill take a look into your ideas scruff, ill have to vero something up. thanks!
No worries, if you need it clarifying when i'm a bit less out of it i'll try and draw something up for you.

Might be useful to change the delay trim in to a pot so you can set exactly where the through zero point happens too.
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

please do make a TZF project, that would be great.
Out of interest, where would one insert a send and return into the collosalus? I have a PCB for that...  ;)

IAn

Scruffie

R5, you will need an input/output cap and don't forget to add R5 back in to your daughter board.

I'll see what I can do...
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

lol

i was looking in totally the wrong place.
I think its over my head, and past my bedtime :/

cheers!
IAn

blearyeyes

QuoteSo... should I convince Keefe for Lectric FX to do an all in one TZF?  ???

YES PLEASE!
If you could kick in the TZF with a foot switch that would killer.

I have a Flintlock board and a Colosulus finished. If there's a MOD for the Colosalus I'm all over that.

Scruffie

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 09, 2015, 03:47:00 PM
QuoteSo... should I convince Keefe for Lectric FX to do an all in one TZF?  ???

YES PLEASE!
If you could kick in the TZF with a foot switch that would killer.

I have a Flintlock board and a Colosulus finished. If there's a MOD for the Colosalus I'm all over that.
We have a LOT of stuff to do first (not least the Polychorus coming out soon) but after and once i've cleared my schedule of other design work... by the end of 2015? I'm thinking mini-TZF A/DA... the circuit will be in good hands ;)

I have no schematics or layouts drawn out sadly, all done in head, but seems like you guys might have mods in hand, I can just lend advice as I have time.
Works at Lectric-FX

blearyeyes

Lars,
I really hope that monkey doesn't pull the trigger.