Main Menu

Really want one of these

Started by pickdropper, January 09, 2015, 08:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

micromegas

wow, not perfect, but I dig it a lot! I haven't seen the video, but the article doesn't say anything about the price... that could really be a drawback.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on January 09, 2015, 09:04:37 AM
wow, not perfect, but I dig it a lot! I haven't seen the video, but the article doesn't say anything about the price... that could really be a drawback.

The pre-order price is $1499.  They said it will increase after launch, but I am not sure by how much. I also don't know how much the materials will cost.
Function f(x)

rullywowr

It looks pretty interesting, however the refills are very pricey and it seems to not be able to drill holes for through hole components?

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

Quote from: rullywowr on January 09, 2015, 09:07:10 AM
It looks pretty interesting, however the refills are very pricey and it seems to not be able to drill holes for through hole components?

Drilling the holes is the easy part.  ;)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

flanagan0718

This is Awesome. Maybe get a couple guys together and split the cost that would be an easier pill to swallow.

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on January 09, 2015, 09:34:57 AM
Quote from: rullywowr on January 09, 2015, 09:07:10 AM

Drilling the holes is the easy part.  ;)

For single-sided yes.  For double-sided it would be a bit more of a PITA without being able to do PTH.

I think the strength of the machine is for SMT work, not really through-hole.
Function f(x)

blearyeyes

Would be a real time saver for development.

I really does inspire equipment lust!

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on January 09, 2015, 09:44:58 AM
For single-sided yes.  For double-sided it would be a bit more of a PITA without being able to do PTH.

As I mentioned in our chat earlier, I think the solution would be to print the traces on both sides, drill it, then just solder the pads on both sides (and really you'd only need to do it for those pads that have a top/bottom correlation). It's a little more soldering, but I'd be willing to do the extra work to save 10-14 days of waiting on a board.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on January 09, 2015, 10:46:57 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 09, 2015, 09:44:58 AM

As I mentioned in our chat earlier, I think the solution would be to print the traces on both sides, drill it, then just solder the pads on both sides (and really you'd only need to do it for those pads that have a top/bottom correlation). It's a little more soldering, but I'd be willing to do the extra work to save 10-14 days of waiting on a board.

Yeah, that could work if tolerances are tight enough.  You could put extra holes for the ground planes to connect as well.
Function f(x)