News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rullywow Queen of Bone

Started by dannoceti, January 11, 2015, 10:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannoceti

Built my second Rullywow QoB pedal for a second rig. I really like the 18v/9v jumper option. I still really want to build the MB 8ball also but need to get the the moodring and dirtbaby I just ordered for finished first. I popped one of the LEDs with the trim pot so I have to fix that today, but other than that good to go. I've been working on getting my wiring neater and am pleased with how this one came out. Using solid core has made wiring a lot easier. Also I feel it's less likely to break. I was using stranded and after a while of having the wires they seemed to have gotten real hard, almost stale, and break easily. I'm going to stick with solid core for a while from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brejna

Nice one! It is very clean build! This is one of the best low gain drives IMO.

cooder

Very tidy and sharp! Great stuff! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

nzCdog

Tidy build, I like the enclosure color too

masterlk

Very cool indeed. Are those trim pots on your switch boards to adjust the brightness of the LED's?

rullywowr

Quote from: dannoceti on January 11, 2015, 10:10:49 AM
Built my second Rullywow QoB pedal for a second rig. I really like the 18v/9v jumper option.
Really clean work, Dan!  Very neat and tidy, bet it sound great too. 

Question: just curious what diode setup you ended up going with?

Quote from: masterlk on January 12, 2015, 07:01:48 AM
Very cool indeed. Are those trim pots on your switch boards to adjust the brightness of the LED's?

Yes, on the rullywow 3PDT boards you can use a trimmer for LED brightness or a standard 1/4w resistor.  The IN/GND/9V/OUT PCB connections also match all rullywow projects (like the QoB) for extra neatness when wiring.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Hogharry

Very tidy indeed. I've been experimenting with solid core as well, I find it can be easier to get a neat result.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

luks999

looks awesome :)  very clean build. and the enclosure color is nice, i guess its from mammoth?
are you labelling it later, or do you leave it that way?

im gonna build this thing soon and i think im using 1S1588 and 1n914 as clipping diodes

luks999

and the 3pdt breakout from rully are really really great :) i wish i had ordered more... :/

selfdestroyer

Very clean build. I'm in the process of building one also as my old one got snagged by a friend. Its a great sounding pedal for sure.

Cody

AntKnee

Looking good! I've been using a semi-solid core from Small Bear, but I may have to switch to a full solid core. It really does look better, almost ribbon-like.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

TGP39

[/quote]

Yes, on the rullywow 3PDT boards you can use a trimmer for LED brightness or a standard 1/4w resistor.  The IN/GND/9V/OUT PCB connections also match all rullywow projects (like the QoB) for extra neatness when wiring.
[/quote]

Hey Ben, I thought there was a small CLR used on the board in case the trim pot was accidentally turned to zero? Maybe danocetti bypassed this option or was just unlucky when he fried his LED?
Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

xZ3ROx

i fried my led also turning it too much? then i turned the other led to see what i did wrong and pfff goes the other led lol. I replaced both and moved the dial back and left it there...not moving it ever again!
-JRod

rullywowr

Quote from: TGP39 on January 12, 2015, 08:34:50 PM

Hey Ben, I thought there was a small CLR used on the board in case the trim pot was accidentally turned to zero? Maybe danocetti bypassed this option or was just unlucky when he fried his LED?
Steve.

The CLR spot (under the PCB) is for not using a trim pot.  In order for a resistor to ensure you don't blow the LED, it would have to be in series with the LED and Trimmer.  In this version, it is not (they are parallel). 

Perhaps on the next run of PCBs I will add a solder jumper to select this option.  When I designed this version, I was thinking "either trimmer OR resistor"...but not both.

Quote from: xZ3ROx on January 13, 2015, 08:22:45 AM

i fried my led also turning it too much? then i turned the other led to see what i did wrong and pfff goes the other led lol. I replaced both and moved the dial back and left it there...not moving it ever again!

Sorry this happened to you.  I've done it myself.

I like to use a pretty large value trimmer to ensure I get full control over the brightness (usually 10k to 25k) and also minimize the range of the rotation where the LED is likely to "pop".

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

dannoceti

Quote from: luks999 on January 12, 2015, 10:41:33 AM
looks awesome :)  very clean build. and the enclosure color is nice, i guess its from mammoth?
are you labelling it later, or do you leave it that way?

im gonna build this thing soon and i think im using 1S1588 and 1n914 as clipping diodes
I actually got this from pedal parts plus, I think it was called blue star sparkle. I am not going to label it. I actually don't really know how and never have even though I've built about 30 pedals. I just keep them and try and remember what they all do haha. I haven't tried the 1n914's but so far I like 1s1588's the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk