News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gaussmarkov version of Escobedo "TMK" pedal

Started by Strategy, January 12, 2015, 05:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strategy

I'm fascinated with the Tim Escobedo circuits. I've enjoyed all of them that I've done so far and several have made it into the 'permanent collection.' This is the TMK ("Too Many Knobs") with PCB version by Gaussmarkov of diystompboxes fame. Project files here: http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/

This is the most fun I've had with a dirt/distortion pedal in some time. I've forgotten what all the controls do but feedback is part of it. I used it tonight with drum machine and it sounded interesting as a synth effect like that, as well as guitar. Interestingly, there appears to be some compression or limiting innate in the circuit, so while it can get "out of control" you never get absurd volume spikes that can make some "noise fuzz" projects a little bit difficult to play on.

Highly recommended project.

TGP39

I love this. I'm going to study some of Escobedo's circuits. Thanks for posting this. Can't wait to get started. What is your fav Escobedo circuit?

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

glops

Quote from: TGP39 on January 14, 2015, 04:32:51 AM
I love this. I'm going to study some of Escobedo's circuits. Thanks for posting this. Can't wait to get started. What is your fav Escobedo circuit?

Steve.

The uglyface is great if you are into super nasty fuzz. I breadboarded the PWM years ago and it was fun. I need to revisit his page as there was a lot of other great filter circuits I wanted to try. Oh, I built the Square wave one feeding into a phase locked loop chip years ago, as well. Great simple experimental circuits. The uglyface is great, as is, but the title of his page is Circuit Snippets and I think a lot of them are genius starting points to be expanded upon.

Strategy

I built Uglyface and sold it to a bandmate, which now I regret doing so I'll probably do another. I loved PWM, I think it comes to life if you put the pulsewidth on a treadle/in a wah enclosure (I sought out a 500k expression/volume pedal to control it remotely, that was not an easy task). I tried Simple Square Wave Shaper Made Simpler and that was fun but similar to other things I've built. I used Jawari quite a bit on fender rhodes piano but it's failed and I haven't had time to trouble shoot it yet. All have been really incredibly strange expressive effects and rewarding considering the simplicity.
Strategy