News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Circuit Salad OptoFET Squeezer

Started by Jopn, January 12, 2015, 05:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jopn

I was lucky enough to receive an OptoFET Squeezer board as part of the holiday PIF party.  As excited as I was for the board, I was also excited that the condition of the PIF was that I had to do a build report.  Almost all of my builds are just for myself, and are usually a bit on the half-assed side when it comes to keeping things neat and tidy.  So I knew with people watching, I'd be motivated to actually put some thought into this one.  Here's how it turned out.

The Circuit Salad OptoFET Squeezer board I received was obviously designed to fit easily in a 1590a enclosure.  Not having any 1590a spares, and hating that format with a passion, I bumped the size up to 125b.  So I had to decide how I was going to make up for the fact that I copped out on the tricky enclosure size.

When I realized that I was running a little low on jacks, the answer came to me.  I had an old 70's patchbay that served me no purpose.  But it did have some pretty kickass switchcraft jacks...

So here you go.  The compressor is simple, and does it's job like it should.  I think that's probably the best compliment a compressor can get IMO.  No extra noise, it's subtle when you set it subtle, and squishy when you set it squishy.  Definitely a recommended build if you have some of the opto chips on hand.  Even if you don't, they certainly don't break the bank.

Pretty sure these jacks will last awhile before failing...

Cheers,

John

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

midwayfair

brejna

Tremster

Yes, those jacks!
I also like this compressor, well done!

SmoothAction

rullywowr

Those jacks look earthquake proof...holy s#*$.

Nice build man!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Jopn

Thanks everyone.  The jacks just attach via a single screw/nut though.  And it wasn't until after I drilled that I realized that I really should have the screw at the bottom of the jack rather than the top.  Take a look at the gut shot and imagine trying to get in there with long needlenose pliers to hold the nut while using a screwdriver with the other hand.  Serious PITA that had me learn my lesson for next time!

selfdestroyer

Very cool build. I love seeing/hearing the reactions of all of us when we see something out of the ordinary. Its so cool to use what you have around you and see it get such positive reviews. Great job on the build and hope to see more of your builds.

Cody

Hogharry

That's a great build! Looks pretty tidy to me.  :D Did anybody notice those jacks?

You should keep posting your builds.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

Stomptown