News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Face

Started by PhiloB, January 09, 2015, 07:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

The circuit sounds pretty good...except when I connect lug1 to ground from the  Fuzz Knob.  I am really perplexed.  I've tried two different pots with the same behavior.  Any ideas.  Circuit seems to run great other wise. 
I have lug 2 going to the negative side of the 22uf cap which goes to ground.
Lug 3 goes to the emitter of Q2 and 100k resistor.

Here's the vero I'm using.  I've also compared it against Sabrotones vero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhiloB

Just realized I didn't describe the issue!  The signal cuts out completely when I connect Fuzz 1 to ground.

PhiloB

Turns out it was a transistor issue.  Bought the 'Continental' set from small bear which they labeled the measured hfe and leak.  I built the transistor tester from GeoFx and they measured between 10 and 20 hfe.
I had purchased some bulk trannies and put in ones I measured to be within spec.  Now it screams!!
With all the great reports about Smallbear transistors I'd have to say the made an honest mistake. 

TGP39

I'm glad you got it going PhiloB.  Was it the OC77's that were out of spec? Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

PhiloB

Yes.  Is this THE Steve? ;)

TGP39

LOL....no....I wish. I could use the parts.  ;)
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

PhiloB

LOL.  I talked with one of his guys prior to receiving shipment because of an error I made when ordering and the guy was super helpful.  I've got no beef with Smallbear.  I guess the moral of the story is build yourself a transistor tester.  Don't take others word for it (cause everybody makes mistakes) if you want to avoid wasted time and headaches.

AntKnee

I need to build this tester, too. I just got a ----load of germ trannies and will need to measure all of them.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

PhiloB

Where'd you buy yours from Antknee?
I'm looking for a good source of unsorted bulk.  Id like to do this one time in my pedal building 'career'.  Buy bulk, measure, sort and catalog for future builds.  I have several Ge projects if like to now that I've had a taste.  I'm blown away with what you can do with just the volume knob between 7-10 on the guitar.  It is killer!

AntKnee

Quote from: PhiloB on January 12, 2015, 09:28:54 AM
Where'd you buy yours from Antknee?
I'm looking for a good source of unsorted bulk.  Id like to do this one time in my pedal building 'career'.  Buy bulk, measure, sort and catalog for future builds.  I have several Ge projects if like to now that I've had a taste.  I'm blown away with what you can do with just the volume knob between 7-10 on the guitar.  It is killer!

I got mine from a guy in Bulgaria.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/bg2014-manue

He is known here on the forum. He always tend to send extra parts to fill the space in his packaging, pretty cool! Last time I got like 100 capacitors of various values with my germs.

see this thread:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=19240.0
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

midwayfair

Quote from: PhiloB on January 11, 2015, 09:45:01 PM
Turns out it was a transistor issue.  Bought the 'Continental' set from small bear which they labeled the measured hfe and leak.  I built the transistor tester from GeoFx and they measured between 10 and 20 hfe.
I had purchased some bulk trannies and put in ones I measured to be within spec.  Now it screams!!
With all the great reports about Smallbear transistors I'd have to say the made an honest mistake. 

Hmmmm.

These sound very, very close to the hfe you'd likely get if you had the transistors backwards. Did you try flipping them 180 degrees?

PhiloB

I'm pretty sure i did Jon.  There is also a red dot on the can which indicates the emitter on the O77's if I'm not mistaken.

PhiloB

Just rechecked and they measured 3 and 2 hfe