News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Favorite pedalboard power supplies?

Started by Justus, January 13, 2015, 01:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justus

So when it comes to pedalboard power supplies, it seems to be Voodoo Labs and everyone else.  Sure I see the occasional Fuel Tank and One-Spot (though the One-Spot being pure daisy-chain I'm not sure it really belongs in the discussion), but the Pedal Power 2 seems to dominate.  There's got to be other options...  other favorites.

So what's your favorite power supply?  Most coveted features?  I only have a One Spot right now but am looking for options for when I finish my full board.  It seems like compare/contrast articles out there are thin on information and thick on advertising/marketing.

Or...  would you strongly consider a DIY option?  I've read that the limiting factor seems to be power transformers and keeping a DIY project feature-packed within a small enclosure.  So maybe it's not even feasible to go DIY on a project like this and come close to something premanufactured.

mjcyates

I have been using the BBE Supa Charger for a few years now with no issues.

selfdestroyer

I use a Voodoo Labs 4X4 on my main board due to the high mA output I can run my Strymon Timeline & BigSky on it.

My bass board is a One-Spot since its only 4 pedals and pretty low draw.

Cody

slacker775

I originally used a couple of 1-spots and they were ok, but I was having a lot of hiss.  I was hounding for a Decimator PCB or the like so I could put together a noise gate.  Finally I snagged a Voodoo 2 and my signal is clean as a whistle. 

My first build was the BYOC 5-knob compressor and I never really got along all that well with it because of all the hiss I was getting.  Now with the Voodoo it's totally quiet.

m-Kresol

Palmer PWT-12. Tons of outputs (6x2, 250mA each duo, various voltages and switch options), build like a brick (heavy duty and quite high, depending on your board this can be good or not), made in germany and very reliable. I think it's in the same price range as most PSUs.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

LaceSensor

all day this
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Fame-DCT-200-Multi-Power-Supply-/art-GIT0019066-000

cheap as chips (3 for the price of a voodoo lab) with 2 high mA outputs that run strymon pedals no issue

I actually own three
the drawbacks are
- taller than voodoo lab
- no courtesy out plug
- yellow paintjob

one of mine developed an issue on one of the outputs; I could RMA it but I just use it as a spare. For the money, its a no brainer.

pickdropper

I have a BBE Supa Charger, 2 VooDoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ Supplies, an MXR MC403 and a bunch of wall warts (1spot, Dunlop, Boss, etc.).

For the money, I think the MXR is a nice power supply as it can run a large board.  It has 18v supplies as well, although I would've preferred more 9v taps.

The BBE has been fine for me but it lacks the extra AC plug that the PP2+ has (if that's important to you).

The wall warts are OK in a pinch, but I prefer using better quality supplies for bigger boards.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

96ecss

I have 2 Pedal Power 2 + Supplies. One on my main gig board and on my practice/rehearsal board. I have owned them both for about 4 years with no issues.

Dave

Jabulani Jonny

Have had a BBE Supa Charger for years without issue.  Recently upgaded to a Voodoo 4x4 for the 12v out to run a TC Electronics Nova Delay.  Great supply so far. 
Jonathan

blearyeyes

Quote from: Justus on January 13, 2015, 04:18:00 PM
Anyone ever try one of these?  http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-JP-02-Isolated-Effect/dp/B00B5X2W4I/ref=pd_cp_MI_2

Some have questioned if it really is Isolated or just like a wall wort and cables in a box. Love to see inside.

From Comments on Amazon:

I have one of these for convenient spare/extra power, and it works reliably for what it does and is well constructed. The outputs have bypass filters, and they have current limiting sections. However, they are not electrically isolated. Joyo's product description continues to use the word 'isolated', so I'll explain.

Each of the outputs shares the same ground plane, and you can even measure this with a multimeter without opening the case. Just measure the resistance (zero ohms) between the center pin on any two outputs.

True electrical isolation requires a transformer with separate secondary windings for each output section and this is why the products from Voodoo Labs, T-Rex, and others are more expensive (and also why they are a bit bigger and heavier.) The T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon has a transformer with 5 independent secondary windings and 5 voltage regulators. The Joyo product in contrast has only 2 voltage regulators: One for all of the 9v outs and one for the 12v out. (The 18v out comes straight off the wall-wart voltage.)

Overall it's a nice product in a light and low profile package if you don't need isolation and you don't mind the wall-wart transformer. Joyo could improve their marketing copy by removing the word "isolated", as the description of short circuit protection would remain just as accurate without the misleading language.

brucer

I've got a VooDoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ and an ISO-5.  The ISO-5 is under my PT-Jr pedal board and the  PP2+ is for my basement practice space/office.  All work great, nice and quiet, no issues.  Love the number of outlets and varied output options.  So much so, that I'm thinking of adding another ISO-5 to my PT-Jr.

alanp

Godlyke Power-all, and a 11port daisychain. No problems so far, but I'm not huge on digital pedals. Lowest profile out of all of the stuff here :P

The other one is my Cioks AC10. Built like a tank (you could jump up and down on it, as long as you missed the plugged in cables), lots of outputs (if you want AC, their DC10 is similarly loaded for bear but for more normal people.) I bought it primarily for my "weird stuff" -- the Infinitphase, Schumann PLL, and the mighty Eurorack modular synthesizer.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 13, 2015, 04:57:28 PM
Quote from: Justus on January 13, 2015, 04:18:00 PM
Anyone ever try one of these?  http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-JP-02-Isolated-Effect/dp/B00B5X2W4I/ref=pd_cp_MI_2

Some have questioned if it really is Isolated or just like a wall wort and cables in a box. Love to see inside.

From Comments on Amazon:

I have one of these for convenient spare/extra power, and it works reliably for what it does and is well constructed. The outputs have bypass filters, and they have current limiting sections. However, they are not electrically isolated. Joyo's product description continues to use the word 'isolated', so I'll explain.

Each of the outputs shares the same ground plane, and you can even measure this with a multimeter without opening the case. Just measure the resistance (zero ohms) between the center pin on any two outputs.

True electrical isolation requires a transformer with separate secondary windings for each output section and this is why the products from Voodoo Labs, T-Rex, and others are more expensive (and also why they are a bit bigger and heavier.) The T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon has a transformer with 5 independent secondary windings and 5 voltage regulators. The Joyo product in contrast has only 2 voltage regulators: One for all of the 9v outs and one for the 12v out. (The 18v out comes straight off the wall-wart voltage.)

Overall it's a nice product in a light and low profile package if you don't need isolation and you don't mind the wall-wart transformer. Joyo could improve their marketing copy by removing the word "isolated", as the description of short circuit protection would remain just as accurate without the misleading language.

Thanks for quoting that. I kind of figured it was not really isolated.

Cody

Mich P

I am really happy with the "flatliner six" by Burkey.
Mich P.