News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

OD/Distortion...What ya recommend? UPDATE: GOOP ALERT!

Started by pryde, January 19, 2015, 10:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandrewbot3k

I love the OCD (mad bean ego driver) and my dynamic overdrive from ggg. I've got a Timmy I run all the time to warm up my ac15c1 before everything.

I've got a kingslayer and spark plug waiting to be finished right now. As well as the black 65.

I didn't really fall in love with the quasar built to RC booster spec.

After I clear off my workbench. I think I need the dead ringer ii

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

Frank_NH

My favorite OD configuration right now is this:  Guitar-->Aion Electronics DIY Klon(e) (the Refractor) set to low gain (9:00), and 3:00 on treble-->Tube Screamer DIY (vero build) with controls set to taste (gain at noon, treble at 4:00)-->Amp.  This sounds very Marshall-like and is great for classic rock.  The Klon(e) really adds something wonderful to the sound and is always on (like a preamp) at the start of my effects chain.

pryde

Got the Xotic BB-MB in and spent some time dialing it in. Overall impression...meh  :-\

It is a nice overdrive really and the baxandal tone controls, as well as the mid boost give a massive range of shaping but on my old Traynor it has a certain harshness and honk in the gain structure. To my ears not as warm as I expected. The consensus is that this is a very warm OD but not so much on my rig I don't think. Bummer. I am going to spend some more time to be sure though.

Anyway popped the back to have a looksie. Nice alpha 3PDT switch, all through hole components, and well built. They gooped a few areas as well as the opamps  ;D

One neat trick in here I learned is the zip tie around the inside of the 9v switch with a little goop to keep the nut from loosening.

GermanCdn

Quote from: pryde on January 22, 2015, 06:27:36 PM
Got the Xotic BB-MB in and spent some time dialing it in. Overall impression...meh  :-\

It is a nice overdrive really and the baxandal tone controls, as well as the mid boost give a massive range of shaping but on my old Traynor it has a certain harshness and honk in the gain structure. To my ears not as warm as I expected. The consensus is that this is a very warm OD but not so much on my rig I don't think. Bummer. I am going to spend some more time to be sure though.

Anyway popped the back to have a looksie. Nice alpha 3PDT switch, all through hole components, and well built. They gooped a few areas as well as the opamps  ;D

One neat trick in here I learned is the zip tie around the inside of the 9v switch with a little goop to keep the nut from loosening.

Here's my mantra when it comes to Traynors and ODs (I own four Traynor amps and two Traynor cabs) - Traynor = low gainer.  Tim-type circuits, klones, boosts, and zens really make the Traynors sing, while higher gain pedals tend to bring out too much honk and fizz, especially in the YCV series. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pryde

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 23, 2015, 12:09:15 AM
Quote from: pryde on January 22, 2015, 06:27:36 PM

Here's my mantra when it comes to Traynors and ODs (I own four Traynor amps and two Traynor cabs) - Traynor = low gainer.  Tim-type circuits, klones, boosts, and zens really make the Traynors sing, while higher gain pedals tend to bring out too much honk and fizz, especially in the YCV series.

Yes I have an old YGM3 but have modded it plenty to make it a pretty well-balanced amp overall. It typically takes all kinds of pedals very well. The BB isnt terrible, just not what I expected as of yet.

Mojo Fandangle

I've been well happy with my Total Spack Vibe OD for a while now.
Sounds massive and full of character at high gain, loads of crunch and gristle.
As with most uncompressed overdrives there's a little loss of low end but it's great for a nice gritty but mellow setting for the first stage, then kicking in the 2nd footswitch so that your speakers sound like they're shitting themselves and loving it.
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally