News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kraken and Cupcake and...son of a..!!!

Started by Jabulani Jonny, January 19, 2015, 08:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabulani Jonny

Here are a couple recent builds, both for me.  I'm a big Jerry Garcia fan and his Mutron tone has always been a favorite of mine.  I built the Kraken for jams with my buddies when we venture into Dead territory.  Pretty fun pedal.  Speaking of which, that's a hint to where the artwork comes from. 

My printer sucks, I'm ready for a new one.  What was supposed to be black always turns out this washed out crappy blue black.  Oh well.

Next up is a Cupcake.  I actually really like the sound of this.  I was kind of surprised, but it is a pretty musical compressor.  Building this in the 125 was like building in an old Incredible Hulk lunchbox.  I'm not a fan of 1590A's and I like the top mount jacks for 125's, so that's what I went with. 

This is a powder coated enclosure from BLMS.  All good except that the screw holes have no threads to speak of.  I mean, you can pull the screws back out with your fingers.  Pretty pissed to discover that after completely finishing the pedal.  Guess, I'll have to make a plan.  I don't have anything to retap the holes, but I might be able to find some larger screws. 

What size screws do most enclosures use?  Maybe I can just go up a step or something.  Ideas welcome. 

Jonathan

TGP39

Both builds are awesome Johnny!  Super clean in and out. I really love the Kraken artwork. That sucks about the BLMS box. I'm going to have to check mine out tomorrow.  He's my main enclosure source. I say bring the box to Home Depot and start trying different screws. The thread looks pretty decent in the holes from what I can see. Great builds.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

selfdestroyer

That Cupcake artwork is awesome. Fits it perfectly.

1590B threads
6-32 Thread
Screws are 6-32 x ½" Phillips

Cody

rullywowr

Great job!  The screws may be 3mm x 10mm x 0.5mm pitch and just got mixed up.

The artwork on both is great!  Kraken is perfect for GD jam sessions.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

juansolo

Lovin' it! Artwork works really well on both!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jprizz

I'm digging both of those pedals! They look great.

bcalla

mcallisterra

They look awesome, great job! What are you using for the decal paper? Is it like white sticky vinyl or something?

flanagan0718

Amazing work. These look great in and out.

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on January 19, 2015, 08:12:59 PM
What size screws do most enclosures use?  Maybe I can just go up a step or something. 

I think I have some spares. I'll check when I get home and PM you.

thesameage

So, can you get anything close to Jerry tones out of the Kraken?

Luke51411

Jabulani Jonny

Thanks guys.  I bought several enclosures from BLMS and all the others seem to be fine regarding screw size and threads.  I did pull out several packs of the screws that came from him and tried different ones, none really seemed to work.  I guess I could just take the enclosure up to Lowe's or Home Depot and try screws until I get one that fits. 

Quote from: thesameage on January 20, 2015, 11:17:05 AM
So, can you get anything close to Jerry tones out of the Kraken?

Well he did use the Mutron III and the Kraken is of the Mutron V, but you can get doggone close IMHO.  Not something that I'd use often, but it gets you close enough for those extended Jerry jams. 
Jonathan

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: mcallisterra on January 20, 2015, 09:18:37 AM
They look awesome, great job! What are you using for the decal paper? Is it like white sticky vinyl or something?

On the Kraken I used Papilio Inkjet White Waterslide decal on an unfinished enclosure and then envirotex'd.  The Cupcake uses Papilio Clear Waterslide over a white enclosure and e'tex'd. 
Jonathan

mcallisterra

Ah. Seeing it over the unfinished enclosure I thought it must have been sticky or something. Thanks :)

flanagan0718

I just checked and I only have spares for the 125b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk