News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quality Switches

Started by claytushaywood, January 21, 2015, 08:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mremic01

Those red switches are great regardless of where I get them from. I can't feel any difference between the ones I've bought from various suppliers, and they're all marked the same. Never had one fail and the epoxy is much better than Tayda's old blue switches. The blue ones they used to sell would melt right away. Those were the same ones that Futurlec sells.

It doesn't sound like we're getting the same switches. On the other hand, I regularly feel shafted on enclosures and knobs. The ones I get are always dented and scratched up no matter who I order from. That's fine for people who are going to paint them, but it's not cool getting what seem like factory seconds. Knobs are like that too. Only once in three years have I gotten knobs that looked like what you'd get on a commercial pedal straight out of the box.

alanp

Main problem with Tayda stomps are the occasional one where the QA failed completely on the nut, and it will strip if you look at it funny.

Also, decent test of SPDT/DPDT toggle switches are whether you can do the first nut down to the switch itself. The switches I got with my Klee sequencer kit are AMAZING quality.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

claytushaywood

Quote from: davent on January 22, 2015, 04:05:40 AM
NKK make nice switches, good selection of bats you get to choose from. I usually choose toggles by actuator height and good sized solder lugs, Digikey. Mouser would have many of the same i'm sure.

would you mind linking some of the switches you like to use?

after feeling an alpha stomp and some nicer toggles I feel bad for how many pedals I've traded or sold out to my friends and acquaintances.  whoops... I guess I can fix em with nicer ones if they ever go bad.  I'm gonna go ahead and committ to a large order of alpha 3pdts and I'd be down to commit to a large amount of toggles ina  group buy- a lot of options though so i dont know if it would work unless people could agree on dpdt's.

anyone know where to get some large quantity discounts on alpha 3pdt's?  or something of similar quality and price?  best I can find right now is PPP for real... crazy.

I do love bitches love my switches- that dude is legit for sure.  And actually the low profile 3pdt's he sells are a lot higher quality than his regular stomps from what I have felt.  They have a nice sturdy, non squeaky action and just feel much better.  Anyone have problems with those?  I just hate the tiny mounting holes.  Maybe a trick to make em easier to work with would make that the buy of choice as they are only $3

http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/#!/Low-Profile-3PDT-Footswitch-Latched-Solder-Lugs/p/33283018/category=5027572

Alpha's from pedal parts plus are $3.10 each if you buy 100.  I could go for 50 and be set for the next 3 years or so!  anyone else wanna go in on a bunch?

davent

Like these, nice short actuator, beefy solder lugs, solid action.

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/M2012S2S1W01/360-1795-ND/1006874

I use 22awg wire, for those switches with tiny solder lugs i wrap the wire around the lug, crimp tight and solder.

Bottom right switch is wrap/crimp/solder.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Willybomb

That's bloody neat.  What's that pedal?

davent

Thanks! JMK Standard Fuzz, my first (and only so far) build with a commercial pcb.

Build report's over here...
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18797.msg181341#msg181341
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

claytushaywood

That is a beautiful build, wow, I suppose I'd use $3.80 toggles if I was building a work of art like that.  Man some day I'd like to take all of my top favorite circuits I've ever built and try to get them at least halfway as good looking as that.  I am just clueless when it comes to this sort of design.  i'm just trying to get my stamps straight and my hammertone spray painted evenly!