News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Desoldering. I'm a drunken bufoon

Started by mandrewbot3k, January 22, 2015, 10:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandrewbot3k

Well. I had a few last night. Decided to finish my multiplex board. I completely ignored the "slow down and pay attention" note.

So. I'm having a hell of a time desoldering the rotary. Used a sucker. Braid, etc. I just cant seem to get it all. Think a heat gun might work to loosen all the solder remnants? I need to test all the pass after   I cut the leads flush to make it easier but still can't get it.

Ugh. The more I drink the more I have reasons to drink. Lol.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

Luke51411

What's wrong with the rotary? I wouldn't think you would be able to orient it incorrectly though I guess the modes would be in a different order maybe?

mandrewbot3k

Quote from: Luke51411 on January 22, 2015, 10:16:16 AM
What's wrong with the rotary? I wouldn't think you would be able to orient it incorrectly though I guess the modes would be in a different order maybe?

wrong side of the board. lol
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

Luke51411

Completely missed the obvious here... yeah I did the same thing with my danger zone build and the 2pdt switches. My solution... free floating pots instead of board mounted.

selfdestroyer

Been there, done that for sure.

Here is what I do.

My desoldiering game stepped up when I bought this
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1597

What I do is add a little bit of fresh soldier on the pad and heat up the pad for a second then get the silicon tip of the pump on the pad to create a suction and BAM a clean/soldier free hole.

There are better ways I am sure with a desolidering iron and what not but this is the cheapest route that gave me good results. Hope this helps.

Cody

Haberdasher

dang i just paid way more than that for one of those engineer solder suckers on ebay.  like 30 bucks. :(
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bcalla

I've had to do massive desoldering projects on several occasions due to similar attention to detail  :(.  What works for me is desolder each pin as best I can (usually with my soldering iron and a sucker).  Then heat & pry (using a probe) one pin to get a little gap from the board, then move to the next pin.  Repeat until the switch is free, sometimes I make a couple of laps around the switch.  It's slow and frustrating, but it has worked for me several many times.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 22, 2015, 10:31:16 AM
dang i just paid way more than that for one of those engineer solder suckers on ebay.  like 30 bucks. :(

They actually came down some recently. I paid $20 from Adafruit last year.

I did find that after a few months of use you will need to oil it. I was a little frustrated with it a few weeks ago since the suction was sub par and it was to slow retracting to suck up anything. The really cool think about this thing is it is dismantleable (is that a word) easily. I used some electronic cleaner/lube spray and it now acts like new.

Cody

mandrewbot3k

Thanks all. I need the encouragement. I thought about just mounting it straight up and not worrying about the pots being pcb mounted. but I honestly just want a clean pcb mounted solution. So much easier for me.

I used my radioshack solder pump first, similar to those ones. I have a desoldering iron too, the radioshack one and i'm going to go to RS at lunch and grab a new tip. I couldnt seem to get it hot enough, but the tip was dirty dirty dirty.

I tried the one at a time and prying and just couldnt get it to move at all. with the 16 or so pins, it just didnt want to budge at all.

Worst case scenario I'll mount it upside down and hopefully the switching is just a little reversed. I may need to redo some of the caps though or shim the switch a little bit.

Thanks again.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

Haberdasher

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 22, 2015, 10:35:42 AM

They actually came down some recently. I paid $20 from Adafruit last year.

I did find that after a few months of use you will need to oil it. I was a little frustrated with it a few weeks ago since the suction was sub par and it was to slow retracting to suck up anything. The really cool think about this thing is it is dismantleable (is that a word) easily. I used some electronic cleaner/lube spray and it now acts like new.

Cody
good to know.  i still haven't received mine, expecting it any day now.  and dismantleable works for me ;)

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Luke51411

With shipping it ended up being like $27 if it makes you feel any better.

gtr2

If you want to salvage it you can send it to me and I'll desolder it for you and send it back.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mandrewbot3k

Quote from: gtr2 on January 22, 2015, 11:00:00 AM
If you want to salvage it you can send it to me and I'll desolder it for you and send it back.

Josh

Thanks Josh. I just might do that. I'll give it one last hurrah tonight, sober, to see if I cant get it out. Can you PM me your address just in case ? I'd appreciate it very much.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

Haberdasher

Quote from: Luke51411 on January 22, 2015, 10:52:41 AM
With shipping it ended up being like $27 if it makes you feel any better.
yes thank you :)

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

Luke51411

Quote from: gtr2 on January 22, 2015, 11:00:00 AM

Josh
Damn fine customer service!