News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirt dirt dirt, some gnarly fuzz and a heap of jellybean vomit

Started by cooder, January 23, 2015, 12:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

cooder

Thanks guys for the kind words, I'm somewhat surprised because I guess and know that swirl paint jobs are really not everyone's cuppa, in fact a bit more of a niche and minority fashion, so thanks for appreciating it. :)
Also I know that my tack on this, always the same knobs, just every paint outrageous different, could be seen as somewhat boring or so, it just works in the bigger context of the board together for me. I guess if I would go with way different knobs each time it would loose some coherence in the chaos.

Quote from: Tremster on January 23, 2015, 05:23:45 AM
Some day Cooder might post something and everybody will think: this is not good.
But today is not that day.
Well as said I wouldn't blame anyone for not liking this approach.... there's so many great different ways of skinning a cat here and as said I do think all that etching, laser engraving etc on here is just out of this world; kudos to you guys!
Quote from: TGP39 on January 23, 2015, 01:41:13 AM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 23, 2015, 01:09:46 AM
truly works of art!

Cody

+1.  These are beautiful builds. Did you bake those enclosures after the applied paint? Some envirotex would make this beautiful art really pop IMO.  I've been dying to build this Skreddy pedal. I was going to take a stab at the tagboard route.  Just really inspiring work.

Steve.
The Skreddy pedals are awesome; Jacob / JMK pedals has a pcb for the Moonlander by the way. Had some more playtime last night with it and it's super. I used three Telefunken BC109C I scored from Smallbear for this.
Yes high gloss envirotex would make them pop even more I'm sure. I haven't tried envirotex on those but I have done some high gloss finish paint on it and that made it pop more but I also find that dust, grime, fingerprints etc show more on high gloss.
So practically lets me choose satin finish polyurethane as top coats to protect paint job.
And I'm kinda stuck with that as I like the coherent chaos look of the whole board this way and find it long term a reasonable look to maintain (just wipe dust off every now and then basically; the look is more forgiving than high gloss).
Cheers :)
BigNoise Amplification

GrindCustoms

Woah!  :o

So much love for swirls! I do undersand your no-need for labelling, i have a very similar approach to it.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

studiodunn

alanp

I maintain that there is a need for labelling beyond a certain point. Ever seen a semi-modular synthesizer with thirty odd knobs, forty jacks, and NO LABELING whatsoever?

Love your paintwork though!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Ho-hum... only spectacular... swirls but very much your own twist on them, unique jelly bean art ready for reconsuming!

Would that be Mictester's relay switching scheme that you're using?

Always great to see what you've been up to!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Hogharry

Just stellar work! I'm all for sticking with styles/techniques/layouts that work for you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can be a bit "that worked, what shall I try next" sometimes, which can lead to pretty random results...
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

cooder

Thanks again guys!
Quote from: GrindCustoms on January 23, 2015, 11:57:37 AM
Woah!  :o

So much love for swirls! I do undersand your no-need for labelling, i have a very similar approach to it.
Thanks Rej, and yes, labels would somewhat be out of place on your fab distressed looks as well I guess. As long as I can get away with it and where it works I like to go naked with the paint showing all over.
Quote from: alanp on January 23, 2015, 02:38:04 PM
I maintain that there is a need for labelling beyond a certain point. Ever seen a semi-modular synthesizer with thirty odd knobs, forty jacks, and NO LABELING whatsoever?

Love your paintwork though!
Thanks Alan, and yes you're right too, imagine the Reverb-O-Sonic (34 knobs) without labels. No go.
Your synth stuff though doesn't make sense to me at all even with the best labelling, just over my head... ;)
I also always faceplate/label my amps as I like it there for sure. Just the pedalboard looks different for me and as long as I can steer the beast as it is it's fine for me.
Quote from: davent on January 23, 2015, 03:03:02 PM
Ho-hum... only spectacular... swirls but very much your own twist on them, unique jelly bean art ready for reconsuming!

Would that be Mictester's relay switching scheme that you're using?

Always great to see what you've been up to!
dave
Thanks Dave! The relay switching is completlt THcustom / Thomas fab new 'Ueberswitch' project, very excellent and big shout out to him, yay! http://diy.thcustom.com/shop/uber-switch-relay-true-bypass-with-mute-kit/
Works super so far and is well thought through I feel.

I also have used and will use Josh "finish line" relay board, also excellent http://1776effects.com/store/

Just the ol' blue 3PDT is mainly dead for me and I'm not sorry about that...

There will be a few applications where I still might use it as the switching needs it, but in general soft touch momentary switch with relay is a hands down win!
I probably should have been clearer: all the actual circuit pcbs are my design, but the relay switching on these are the THcustom "Ueberswitch" boards, programmed chips etc all by Thomas! Great clever dude!
BigNoise Amplification

lincolnic

Thanks for including the close-up shots of the swirls - it's really fun to see the detail in these!

blearyeyes

What flavor Jelly Beans do you normally use?

OMG! I had a closer look at the moon lander pic and I thought I saw some brain matter in there... Are you sure you're using Jelly Beans?

nzCdog

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 17, 2015, 08:14:04 PM
What flavor Jelly Beans do you normally use?

OMG! I had a closer look at the moon lander pic and I thought I saw some brain matter in there... Are you sure you're using Jelly Beans?

lol!  Great looking builds, as usual 8)