News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cupcake compression

Started by DougCFL, June 01, 2011, 12:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougCFL

I finished a cupcake and it sounds as expected (very good, but too compressed for me).  I'd like to either adjust for less compression and/or blend the original signal with the compressed signal using set-and-forget internal trim pots or components in sockets or the unused opamp in the 4558.  The sustain trimmer does not change the compression much, just makes it sound better/worse.  Any suggestions?  Also working on a Ross/Keeley clone.  Maybe just stick with that circuit?
Thanks, Doug

stecykmi

not sure if this will work, by try INCREASING R4 (try maybe 510k or 560k) or DECREASING R11 (try maybe 82k or 68k).

you could also try putting a diode with a higher Vf in place of the 1n34a, possibly 1n4001, but experiment to see what you like. D1 likely has a pretty big influence on the "feel" of the compression.

jkokura

The Ross circuit will definately give you a little bit more of a subtle compression.

A blend circuit in there would definately give you some more tonal options. However, there's not much you can do with the stock Orange Squeezer. Misha's suggestion may work just fine.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DougCFL

Thanks for the inputs.  I think I understand.  I think I can also mess with R3 (decrease for more dry signal) and R10 (increase for less compression).  I'm finishing my Ross clone now and will experiment with the Cupcake after I button up the Ross.  I'll report back with some observations.

DougCFL

For others desiring to do the same, here's what I did.  Keep in mind I don't like much compression, I'd rather use my hands/pick to control my attack and volume.

I socketed R10 and R8.

I used these values for bass guitar.
changed C1 from 47n to 100n.
changed R10 from 1.5K to 15K
changed R8 from 220K to 68K

This produced less compression and about the same amount of gain.

For guitar (and I haven't done this yet) I will set R10 to 22K or so and R8 to 47K or so.