News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Okay, how do I mount a dual LED?

Started by midwayfair, January 26, 2015, 08:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

No bezels for these exist! Very frustrating.

rullywowr

Quote from: midwayfair on January 26, 2015, 08:34:16 PM

Picture?  The dual LED's I am familiar with are two colors in the same 5mm epoxy housing...

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Muadzin

For a 5mm dual colored LED this usually does the trick: http://www.musikding.de/Mounting-Clip-convex-for-5mm-LED

Unless you mean something else that is.

Govmnt_Lacky

midwayfair

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on January 27, 2015, 05:35:24 AM
Quote from: rullywowr on January 26, 2015, 08:45:31 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on January 26, 2015, 08:34:16 PM

Picture?  The dual LED's I am familiar with are two colors in the same 5mm epoxy housing...

It's a 3mm dual LED. http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pcs-3mm-Dual-Bi-Color-Red-Green-diffused-3-Pin-LED-Common-Anode-/170926357126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cc013a86

You could probably bend the legs back some and use a snap-in Fresnel lens.

But the easiest thing would just be to tack it in place with a bit of super glue.  If you wanted to protect against potential shorts, you could hold it in place with a glob of RTV.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

FWIW, for the 5mm dual LEDs I use standard bezels and I cut a line between the two holes on the plastic insert so I can pass all three legs through the insert. I put a little bit of shrink wrap on the base of the legs to keep them from shorting out.  Works fairly well.

Problem with the 3 mm LEDs is that the outside leads extend beyond the footprint of the base, so this technique doesn't work unless you start doing a bunch of leg bending at the base.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

midwayfair

Quote from: Muadzin on January 27, 2015, 06:36:28 AM
Would this work for a 3mm dual LED?

http://www.musikding.de/Mounting-Clip-for-3mm-LED

It's a little too small. The leads of the LED would push it out and it wouldn't fit in the hole drilled for it.

I guess I am going to have to glue it to the enclosure, unless I want to use a big 5mm bezel.

Govmnt_Lacky

The primary design for those LEDs is PCB mount with a stand off.

You will be hard pressed to find a bezel for them.  :-\

davent

I've had good luck with just a friction fot of 3mm led's. drill the initial hole with a 1/8" bit, paint and clear the enclosure the holes now too small for the led, hand ream with a 3mm drill bit and you have a nice tight fit howevr the led wiil protrude to far through the enclosure so i add a ~1/16" thick, 1/8" nylon washer as a spacer between the enclosure and led. Also slightly countersink the hole on the outside of the enclosure to enhance appearances.

Can always add a touch of super glue to secure.

Have done pcb mounted led as well.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

Dave, those all look really good. Good idea with the washer. :)

nieradka

Yeah, I just drill the hole a size small, then file it out until I can jam it in. I havent had one fall out yet, and Im rough with stuff.