News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Les Paul Bridge P/U recommendations?

Started by pryde, January 28, 2015, 07:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

To all the LP playing brethern here (or anyone for that matter) I am considering a new bridge pickup in my trusty Les and curious what folks are happy with.

I have a 57 Classic Plus in there now which I feel is just OK but not that inspiring. I am probably in more of the vintage PAF tone camp, a little hot is fine but definitely no modern-high output stuff for me.

Anyone play a SD Seth Lover or Pearly Gates in the bridge? Other thoughts and opinions are appreciated. All makes and models cool.  :)

Not really pedal related I know but I like folk's honest opinions here. Thanks.

brucer

I've got an SD '59 (SH-1) in the neck and an SD JB (SH-4) in the bridge and I'm pretty happy with it.  My luthier recommended either that or a set of Sheptone Tributes, but the Sheptones were out of my price range at the time.  Perhaps they're worth trying?

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Matt

I've used the Dimarzio breed before and I am currently using a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 which I really like. Don't know if these are higher output than you are looking for.
Matt

raulduke

I have a set of Bare Knuckle Pickups mules in my LP and they sound awesome.

They are quite low output, but that results in being able to get nice clean tones as well as being able to dish the dirt  ;D

You can't really go wrong with Bare Knuckle pickups (other than the arse clenching high price).

oldhousescott

A Duncan 59 or Pearly Gates would work well. Both are vintage output. I've got a Spalted Tele (mahogany body and neck, maple cap) with a 59 in the neck and a PG in the bridge, and it sounds great.

96ecss

Pearly Gates in the bridge of a Les Paul sounds great.

What is it about the 57 Classic Plus that you don't like? I thought the 57 Classic and Plus are vintage PAF types with the Classic being a little hotter.

Dave

pickdropper

Quote from: raulduke on January 29, 2015, 04:22:27 AM
I have a set of Bare Knuckle Pickups mules in my LP and they sound awesome.

They are quite low output, but that results in being able to get nice clean tones as well as being able to dish the dirt  ;D

You can't really go wrong with Bare Knuckle pickups (other than the arse clenching high price).

I evaluated a Les Paul for a potential trade and it had BK Mules installed.  They were very nice pickups.  The bridge is quite bright, which will appeal to some and not to others, but I liked it.  The neck was less bright, but not muddy at all.  I thought the neck was quite fantastic, actually.

I have a set of Peter Florence Voodoo pickups as well that are very nice.  They are also Low Output and a bit brighter in tone.  Very nice sounding.  Going by aural memory (which is not typically all that reliable with humans), I think I liked the Voodoo bridge better and the BK Mule neck pickup better.  My one beef with the Voodoo is that I had to work a bit harder for pinch harmonics than usual.  With enough gain, it gets there, however. 

For the next one, I might try a PAF style with a bit more output for the bridge.  I'm really curious about the Wolftone pickups.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pryde

Quote from: 96ecss on January 29, 2015, 07:55:39 AM
Pearly Gates in the bridge of a Les Paul sounds great.

What is it about the 57 Classic Plus that you don't like? I thought the 57 Classic and Plus are vintage PAF types with the Classic being a little hotter.

Dave

To my ears the classic 57 plus bridge emphasize a lot of lower mids and lacks some clarity overall. I would characterize it as being to dark for my tastes.
Also It measures out at 9k but I feel like it pushes harder than a 13k pickup I have. I think it would work well in a very bright guitar for harder rock/metal.

96ecss

I would try a Pearly Gates in its place. I think you'll like it.

Dave

GrindCustoms

BKP Mules are a very nice pickup to put in LP, kind of a super PAF... got bite, sounds wide, lots of string definition under gain, very responsive to playing dynamic. Love those!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

blearyeyes

+1  brucer. Had a JB bridge and loved the pickup. Still 70s kinda thing there..

I put a Nazgul and Sentient combination in my 8 string.
Different application though.

pryde

Yes those BK Mules sound nice in demos. May be a bit rich for my blood though.

Lots of good options to think about for sure.

pickdropper

I haven't played them, but Zhangbuckers have been getting nice reviews and the pricing is pretty decent.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

96ecss

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 29, 2015, 12:19:05 PM
+1  brucer. Had a JB bridge and loved the pickup. Still 70s kinda thing there..

I have a JB in the bridge of one of my SG's and in the bridge in my Flying V. Great pickup. He said he was into vintage PAF though, so that's why I didn't recommend a JB.

Dave