News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Joe Gagan pot/PPP wah enclosure compatibility problem + solution

Started by midwayfair, January 29, 2015, 01:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I posted this over on DIYStompboxes, which removed my thread even though it contained a specific description of the problem and the solution.

I had a problem with a specific combination of parts: Joe Gagan's wah pot, which I purchased from Smallbear, and the wah enclosure from Pedal Parts Plus, which is most likely manufactured by 4site. These are not uncommon or rare parts, and there's no way to know from buying them that they're incompatible.

Joe apparently thought my post was "misleading" because he claims that there was no problem with his pot, except there IS a problem with his pot if you try to use it in combination with another popular product. So I'm reposting this here in case anyone else has the same problem and wants to know how to fix it.

The problems are this: The gear on Joe Gagan's pot uses a different threading than the rack, and the gear is smaller than the gear that comes with that rack, so the tension clutch won't reach it.

My solutions were first to redrill the hole for the tension clutch closer to the rack, and then to just replace the gear on the pot, which was necessary regardless of whether I had to replace or redrill the tension clutch.

joegagan

i asked aron to delete it specifically because of the first 5 words 'problem with a joe gagan... " that was the thread title. for people perusing google about my products , those are not good words to have come up, regardless of what the backstory is. many people will not dig any further into it. it harmed my online reputation for a reason that is not my problem.

i am not expecting preferential treatment here, i am sure any retailer/ supplier could have made the same request and had the same result. i find your claim to the contrary offensive.

i cannot be responsible for people selling rack gears that are not industry standard. mine are.

i cannot take the time to find out what fringe products are out there that mine may or may not work with.

1000 pots were sold with the 12 tooth gears, this is the first time in 20 months that anyone has mentioned that a rack gear is incompatible EXCEPT some 60s italian /UK wahs. for my ebay sales, i clearly state that if you have one of these wahs, to contact me for advice. i have different gears i sell for those.

so, while it may seem the mammoth and PPP are a major source of wah shells, my experience has been the opposite.

specifically about the various import shells that are being sold - it would do no good to try and nail down what rack gear those people are using because from what numerous sources have told me, the product varies in specs from one shipment to the next, even from the same supplier.

again, the reports i get from tom hughes of black cat and others is that the eleca shell for small bear is of very good quality and does not have the aforementioned issues.

jubal81

Regardless of whose 'fault' it is, PPP is a major and trusted supplier for us, and the information that your product doesn't fit with that one is the point of forums like this - and a tidbit that could save one of us $50-$60 and week or more of shipping time.

I think adding "known to work with Smallbear version blah blah ..." to your product description would be a good idea.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

chordball

My experience with Joe's pots/gears is that they work perfectly well with crybaby and vox shells which are, as he said, "industry standards". I see everyone's points and while Joe is not at fault (if there is fault I would think it lies with the aftermarket wah shell makers) I think it would be courteous of him to make it known that his pot may not work with all wah gears. Joe, do you already do this? I can't remember. Either way, I enjoy the option to buy his pots and aftermarket wah shells so ideally both parties would inform the customer of potential incompatibilities.

That said, it's good to know of the problem and solution so thanks Jon. And thanks to Joe for the explanation and of course for offering great quality wah parts.

Jopn

Quote from: joegagan on January 29, 2015, 02:25:00 PM
i am not expecting preferential treatment here, i am sure any retailer/ supplier could have made the same request and had the same result. i find your claim to the contrary offensive.

I'm not so sure.  If Tayda reached out to forum admins requesting the removal of any threads that they disagreed with, I don't think the result would be the same.

Govmnt_Lacky

Joe...

Perhaps a better solution to this would be to work WITH Jon to get the measurements, pics, data, etc. in order to provide a different tensioner option for those who purchase the "non-industry standard" wah shells.

Jon is a good guy and I am confident he would be willing to assist you with this!  ;)

aion

Quote from: Jopn on January 30, 2015, 06:34:20 AM

I'm not so sure.  If Tayda reached out to forum admins requesting the removal of any threads that they disagreed with, I don't think the result would be the same.

Let's not pick apart every sentence here... we all agree Joe and Jon are two of the most stand-up guys in the DIY scene. Joe's concern with the original post title was valid (especially on a site as high in search-engine authority as DIYSB), and Jon's concern with the incompatibility of the more common DIY wah enclosures is something that everyone should be aware of (though it's not Joe's fault by any means).

Bringing up Tayda is not very helpful since they are not in any way involved in the DIY scene. Joe's right, though, that it's the same treatment that we'd give Steve at Small Bear or Connie at PPP. Not because they're retailers, but because they're good people and we like them.

Jopn

Quote from: aion on January 30, 2015, 09:16:38 AM
Quote from: Jopn on January 30, 2015, 06:34:20 AM

Bringing up Tayda is not very helpful since they are not in any way involved in the DIY scene. Joe's right, though, that it's the same treatment that we'd give Steve at Small Bear or Connie at PPP. Not because they're retailers, but because they're good people and we like them.

I guess that's my point. We do, and we should, give preferential treatment to people like Brian, Steve, Joe, Connie, Kevin, etc. Their assets to the community, and we're happy to help and support how we are able. The thread on DIYSB was deleted in this spirit, to avoid undue damage to Joe's business. Whether or not that was the best approach is debatable (but please go over to DIYSB and debate it there instead of here), but that was the admin's decision there.

Joe made it sound like we should (or do) let all retailers control what's said about their products in these open forums. I used Tayda as a stark contrast on purpose to make the point that this isn't true.

Joe, you do awesome work and I make sure to mention your name whenever someone is looking for a fantastic wah sound.  Your support for the diy community is worthy of preferential treatment, and we're happy to give it.