News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

February Album Writing Month 2015 -- Anyone else in? :)

Started by midwayfair, January 31, 2015, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I've completed this challenge two years in a row. I find that I'm really excited to start this year. Anyone want to give it a shot?

Hit me up here:

http://fawm.org/fawmers/midwayfair/

Also, I might be scarce around the forums/DIY world for the next 28 days. :)

lincolnic

I've been thinking about it, as work is going to be slow this month, but I haven't talked myself into/out of it yet. I'm afraid that I just won't have any ideas, frankly.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

Quote from: lincolnic on January 31, 2015, 08:03:30 PM
I'm afraid that I just won't have any ideas, frankly.

Just turn on the recording device and start. The site has a bunch of tools to give you ideas, like a word cloud generator, plot generator, and title generator. There's no shame in not making it, but if you're thinking of doing it, you should give it a try. You never know, right?

GermanCdn

This is a really great idea, and I'd love to participate, but I got way too much stuff on the go this February (and my entire studio is literally packed into boxes right now getting ready for the move).  Given that I'm going to be on the road for the next two years, there should be some decent writing time available then (already got my road axe in pieces in my suitcase along with my iRig and my Boss BR mini studio.

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with Jon.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Frank_NH

So how does this work?  Looks like you need to sign up for the FAWM site to see the tools.  I have written and recorded songs in the past and posted some on Reverbnation.  I was also part of a local songwriting circle for a while, which I greatly enjoyed.  I've been busy lately working in a cover band, so learning a new Tom Petty tune takes precedence over songwriting... :-\   

I suppose that using past ideas (even partial ones) wouldn't count.  I any case, it would be a fun exercise for me but I'd have to get my recording space set up again.

kothoma

Quote from: Frank_NH on February 01, 2015, 07:30:10 PM
So how does this work?  Looks like you need to sign up for the FAWM site to see the tools.

You can try the creativity tools without login: http://muse.fawm.org/

midwayfair

Frank_NH

Quote from: kothoma on February 01, 2015, 09:35:22 PM
So how does this work?  Looks like you need to sign up for the FAWM site to see the tools.

Thanks.  The song title generator is particularly fun.  So how does the interactive aspect of the site work?  Do others listen and critique the songs?  I'm interested in this as it appears geared toward songwriting creativity versus a site like ReverbNation which is strictly for artists to post and promote finished/polished songs.  My experience with ReverbNation is that they send you a lot of e-mails and the supposed "fans" you randomly pick up don't actually listen to your tracks.  It is nice though if you want to share your music on Facebook or by e-mail via a link.

midwayfair

Quote from: Frank_NH on February 02, 2015, 06:03:51 AM
Quote from: kothoma on February 01, 2015, 09:35:22 PM

Thanks.  The song title generator is particularly fun.  So how does the interactive aspect of the site work?  Do others listen and critique the songs?  I'm interested in this as it appears geared toward songwriting creativity versus a site like ReverbNation which is strictly for artists to post and promote finished/polished songs.  My experience with ReverbNation is that they send you a lot of e-mails and the supposed "fans" you randomly pick up don't actually listen to your tracks.  It is nice though if you want to share your music on Facebook or by e-mail via a link.

You can comment on other peoples' songs, and the feed will tell you when someone on your watch list posts something. It's closer to Twitter than Facebook, in that you don't have to follow someone who follows you.

Again, I can't stress enough that it's just a PERSONAL challenge. The songs can be as fleshed out or as sparse as you like. Some people only write lyrics, some people only write instrumentals. I've even seen at least one person make all 14 songs private so you could only see the title. Some people never comment on others' songs and some people are extremely active in the community.

I find it fun to explore what other people are doing, and the forums can be a good place to brainstorm ideas for topics when you get stuck for ideas, but there's no reason you can't do it solely for yourself.

It's entirely what you make of it.

MADWAGNER

This looks like fun! Maybe just the thing for my writers block. Something to get the creative juices flowing.   :)

lincolnic

Welp, I slipped on my front steps and jammed the middle finger on my fretting hand because my landlords left a healthy coating of ice there, so it looks like I'm out of commission for a couple of days. Guess this decision was made for me.