News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbaby - full wet?

Started by mcasemo, February 07, 2015, 03:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcasemo

Just finished the dirtbaby, sounds incredible, and it fired up on the first try.  Easiest offboard wiring thanks to the great layout.

question:  should the blend knob make it go 100% wet?  I thought the DMM did that, but i still hear the dry with blend all the way up.  Just want to make sure it behaving the way it should.

Also, if the blend won't go full wet, is there a way to accomplish that?  Higher value pot resistance?

Cheers,
Mark

alanp

You could put a switch right after C4
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

It will not go full wet as is. The DMM does not, either...it's always a blend. The problem with using a higher value pot is that it will upset the natural balance between wet and dry. IOW, you might be able to eliminate some or all of the dry signal but at the same time lose the ability to find the right blend between delay and dry at lower settings.

What Alan suggested is the right thing here. A switch to remove the dry signal altogether. To do this, you will need to use a solder lug pot for the Blend. Wire lugs 3 and 2 to the PCB as normal. Wire lug 1 of the pot to the middle lug of and On/On switch and then either one of the free pins on the switch to pad1 on the Blend pot on the PCB.

mcasemo

Thanks to you both, glad to hear it's working properly and an easy mod to get 100% wet.  Really sounds good, was a nice to get a build working with no issues right off the bat, been a while since that has happened.

Mark

mcasemo

one more annoying question:  any logical spot for inserting an effects loop?  i did it with the echobase, but got advice for it. 

Mark

madbean

Hmm. Two possible spots; right at C20 or at C28. Both of those spots are in phase with the input.

If you removed either one of those caps for a loop, be sure to couple both ends with a cap. So, a 1uF from each jack back to the PCB.

mcasemo

Thanks Brian!   Going to try it out on my second build.

cheers,
mark