News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2mb rez pot in Shark fin

Started by Jules, February 01, 2015, 07:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jules

Hi All,
The Sharkfin project requires a 2m linear pot for the rez control.
Can any other value be used? It is not an easy value for me to get hold of.
Thanks,  Jules

ggarms

Small bear stocks them, but I don't know where you are so shipping might be a pain.

madbean

Use a 1M if you cannot get the 2M. The range will be less, but it will still cover a lot.

BaklavaMetal

put a 1M resistor on a switch in series with the pot
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women!
That is good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msTgvtQTEZ4&list=UUu0WQ4lkQv4LQS0n-AWCGTQ

Jules

Thanks for the help, I will try a 1m.
I don't suppose you could post a diagram or try to describe exactly what I would need to do for Baklava Metal's suggestion of a 1m resistor on a switch?

madbean

Here's what I would do. Make R6 1M instead of 100k. Now set up a switch like so:

Solder a wire to one of the R6 pads on the bottom of the PCB. Solder another wire to the other R6 pad on the bottom of the PCB. At the end of one wire, solder one end of a 100k resistor. Solder the other end of the 100k resistor to the middle lug of an On/On switch. Not solder the free end of the second wire to either one of the remaining lugs on the On/On switch.

What happens here is that when the switch is off, you have a 1M pot in series with a 1M resistor. So, you have an all the range you could not get with a 1M pot. When you flip the switch, the 100k goes in parallel with the 1M resistor, which essentially reduces the combined value to about 90k. Now you have the second range of the Rez pot. So, you cover the entire range of a 2M pot with a 1M pot and a switch.