News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help me identify rare (potentially fake) ICs ?

Started by add4, February 01, 2015, 01:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

Hello all,

So one friend of mine works for a big electricity company and they are rebuilding all the command panels of the nuclear plants at the moment.
Since its nuclear it should be approved before put in production so they are reproducing identically the PCBs made in the 70s when the central was build in order to avoid certification.

Here comes the funny part. Since he needs to have access to old AND CERTIFIED electronic parts, he told me to send him a list of some ICs or trannies and he's try to get them for me through his distributor.

Since i have never worked with these rare parts, i would like to have an opinion of people who do, in order to know if they are obviously fake or seem legit.

So the pile i got is big, but here is the rare stuff:
MN3008 *5
NKT213 * 10
MN3007 (is it rare?)*10
OC75 *10
MN3207 (is it rare?)*10

do you have ideas of what else i should ask ?

Thanks

Stomptown

To really know if they are legit you need to drop them in a circuit (at least that's how I do it).  The mn3008s are the hardest chips to source but are still available from reliable sources sporadically.  The 3007s and 3207s are easier to source but there are faked of those and the 3008s all over eBay from dharma I've heard.  I'll let someone else chime in on the transistors as I'm not really sure. I will say that your story about their origins leads me to believe they are likely legit! If you are interested in selling one of the mn3008s ($10 is the current going rate), I would buy it and test it in one of my delays.  If you want to hold on to all of them it's no big deal; I don't actually need one, just offering to help!...

Haberdasher

probably a pipe dream that he would have any, but sad1024 are going for about 75 bucks a pop these days.  remind him they are very static sensitive, so precautions should be taken when handling them.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Stomptown

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 01, 2015, 02:18:38 PM
probably a pipe dream that he would have any, but sad1024 are going for about 75 bucks a pop these days.  remind him they are very static sensitive, so precautions should be taken when handling them.

Haberdasher meant to say they are worth $0.75 and I'll take 10 of them if he's got em!   Just kidding :P  If you can get your hands on those DO IT!!! 

add4

:)

I'll send an email to my friend and ask for that.

Other ideas?
rare germanium trannies?
moar MNxxxx?

at the moment, i haven't payed for that (a good whisky bottle will probably be received) and the next batch should be free too, but i'd like to maximise the amount of valuable stuff

Haberdasher

Quote from: Stomptown on February 01, 2015, 02:21:18 PM
Quote from: Haberdasher on February 01, 2015, 02:18:38 PM

Haberdasher meant to say they are worth $0.75 and I'll take 10 of them if he's got em!   Just kidding :P  If you can get your hands on those DO IT!!! 
haha, yeah that's what i meant.

to be fair, i have seen people pay 45 ea recently, but i've also seen people pay 75 recently.  so it just depends i guess.  the point is, i shouldn't put a price tag of 75 on them because they may actually not be worth that to everyone.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Stomptown

Yeah, a while ago someone wanted to trade one for a 3005 and I regret not jumping on the offer. Of course, he may have wanted 2 3005s  [sorry for the derail]...

drolo

Hmmm wonder what they could use a delay chip for in a nuclear plant ... my imagination brings up some scary ideas ...
Is it for the Huy power plant?

add4

Actually access the dealers but they have a huge panel of all electronic chips and trannies it's like mouser, but it's supposed to be certified and with access to discontinued stuff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

add4

And i have no idea which plant is having the electronics renewed sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scruffie

The germaniums are all real, modern DSI production though which from reports are very low gain usually, however apparently they will select high gain ones for a price and as these are from a dealer that supplies to big business you might be lucky there. If that does turn out to be the case (that they're higher gain than what's usually available) you might want to get some of their OC81Ds.

The BBDs, could be and quite possibly are real, only way to be sure is to test them though as stomptown said.

If you could get some CA3094 they're useful for old EHX pedal repairs, MC1495 are good for I think the Maestro ring modulator, MN3205 are hard to come by but these guys might have some, SSM2040 are a long gone uber OTA, synth guys love them. Probably stuff that isn't so good to the average builder though.
Works at Lectric-FX

mandrewbot3k

Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

madbean

The MN3008s look good from the top. They've got the beveled edges and are not obviously stamped or anything. Pics of the bottom and pin length would help solidify (pin lengths will be longer than your typical dual or quad amps from comparisons I've seen).

But, yeah, you gotta test first hand to know for sure.