News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

IC Tubing Cutter

Started by chromesphere, February 06, 2015, 12:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey guys,

Little stuck here, wondering if anyone has had experience with something like this.  This might be something that diyer's are interested in as well.

Basically im after an IC Tube cutter.  Sometimes when I'm packing kits / orders, there's a lot of tube cutting.  Up till now I've used a victorianox pocket knife which is very sharp, but a pita to use.  My hand gets tired after using it for 30mins etc, requires a lot of effort and doesn't cut very cleanly.  Its just a chore...

The danger here is confusing tube cutting with IC tube cutting. "tube cutting" could mean anything!  Fish tank pvc pipe etc. 

These are the options I've found so far, some may not actually be IC tube cutters.

This looks like the right thing:
http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/tube-cutters/0722198/

Fairly certain these 2 are NOT IC tube cutters:
http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/tube-cutters/6679390/
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Erem-684E-Tubing-Cutter-Cuts-Tubing-Cleanly-Without-Crushing-/180737927000

I think there really is only that top one that is actually an IC tube cutter.

Are there any other options?  Im prepared to pay up to 80$ for something pro, I really hate cutting this crap :)

Cheers for any help!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Justus

Thought of trying a ratcheting PVC cutter?  They're large and cheap, but the blades are usually super sharp and I'd bet it would cut the IC tubing before crushing it.

chromesphere

Good idea Justus!  I don't think there is a tool made specifically for the task.

So something like this? lol maybe a bit smaller hah? :D

Govmnt_Lacky

Metal shears?

Never used them for cutting IC tubing but I would think they would work great.

gtr2

I use a band saw...  Any cheap one will do and also doubles as a pcb cutter ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Justus

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.  Only those are huge and very industrial compared to what I have on hand! lol!

Harbor Freight here in the States carries a cheapie one that would likely work well: http://www.harborfreight.com/finger-release-ratcheting-pvc-cutter-66971.html

A bandsaw isn't a bad idea either...  or on a smaller scale, a scroll saw would work too.

chromesphere

$6.00...man we get ripped in Australia...That does look good, I'll have to see if I can find something here, I think I did stumble upon a few during my search.

Bandsaw would be ideal, but I did want to avoid power tools as I usually cut the tubing in my study.  Could probably just cut a heap in the garage in one shot I guess..

mandrewbot3k

I wonder if a copper tubing cutter would work?
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

pickdropper

Those Erem cutters are designed for cutting round tubing stock (as are all the tubing cutters I'm familiar with).

There should be a lot of tools that would work.  Personally, I use the bandsaw; perhaps a tile cutter would work.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

Never used one of those before but looking at it in action, looks like it has a clamp and round rolling blade?  Im thinking on a square object it might be a bit clunky?

Ah!  Dave, I was hoping for your response :D Dam...yeah I thought that was the case.  So its looking like power saw type tools are the most commonly used.  Might need to see if I can get a handtool that can shear the tube without crushing it.  if that doesn't work, maybe a power tool! :(

pickdropper

Quote from: chromesphere on February 06, 2015, 02:45:44 AM
Never used one of those before but looking at it in action, looks like it has a clamp and round rolling blade?  Im thinking on a square object it might be a bit clunky?

Ah!  Dave, I was hoping for your response :D Dam...yeah I thought that was the case.  So its looking like power saw type tools are the most commonly used.  Might need to see if I can get a handtool that can shear the tube without crushing it.  if that doesn't work, maybe a power tool! :(

Yeah, I'm taking a shot in the dark with the tile cutter, but it seems like it should work.  For example, this manual one cuts up to 5/8" deep

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-heavy-duty-tile-cutter-68979.html

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

Never used a tile cutter before either!  might have to check one out next time im at the hardware store, thanks for the suggestion!

derevaun

First thing that came to mind was a razor saw mitre box:

Handy for lots of light-use jobs.

BillyBoy

I'm on the receiving end, not the shipping end, so my preference might not match your needs.  I prefer anti-static foam and bags.  The tubes are often too long for my storage compartments/organizers, are annoying to cut, don't like messing with tape on the ends, sometimes hard to see markings on the ICs, slinging chips all over the floor to get them out when they are stuck, dumping chips all over the floor when they aren't stuck,  :) etc.  They are OK for large quantities, but I move a bunch to foam until I need more.  If you use both sides of the foam, you can put a lot of ICs in a small area.  The foam easily cuts with scissors, knife, whatever.  If my ICs come in tubes, then I usually take them out and put them on foam.  Never had any problems with that.  Not sure where you get the foam.  I just re-use what gets shipped to me.  I've bought a few kits that included ICs, and I think all of them were on foam and bagged with the other small components.  The small-cell foam (usually white) is a bit better than the larger cell foam (usually pink/red).
Bill Gerlt
Gerlt Technologies
Custom Rack Effects

peterc

What about a hot wire cutter like those used for cutting polystyrene?

I dont know if it is strong enough but it might be worth a bash...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WIRE-POLYSTYRENE-CUTTER-WITH-BATTERY/dp/B008GWP3BU
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com